Dont mess with Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 + 1 Observation Hive
i was told never to mess with your queens ie mark or clip until drones are about just incase she gets damaged in some way the hive would find it difficult to get v queens mated this early in the new year especilly with this weather
whats your thoughts

i was told never to mess with your queens ie mark or clip until drones are about just incase she gets damaged in some way the hive would find it difficult to get v queens mated this early in the new year especilly with this weather
whats your thoughts

Ont udder and its the best time to find em quick

:iagree:I think it is good advice not to mark or clip until there are mature drones. You would be sorry if they killed her just when you need to her to lay to create the explosion in the number of bees you need to get a decent crop.

:iagree:I think it is good advice not to mark or clip until there are mature drones. You would be sorry if they killed her just when you need to her to lay to create the explosion in the number of bees you need to get a decent crop.

No question, you don't take chances with queens 'out of season'.

However in my hives, right now there are patches of sealed drone brood. Which means that there would be mature drones well before a QC started now would produce a virgin queen.
Sure, damaging HMQ would lead to a broodless period at an inopportune time, but it wouldn't mean the end of the colony.

Finding HMQ to mark her *should* be easiest when the number of bees in the hive is close to its minimum for the year - probably just passed.

So, I'm going to be slightly different and say that the next few weeks are likely the easiest time for *confident* beeks to mark their queens.
The less confident can soon spend a few weeks practicing marking drones (ideally in a non-standard colour!) before trying for "the real thing".

As long as I can see eggs etc I don't even bother looking for her.

However in my hives, right now there are patches of sealed drone brood. Which means that there would be mature drones well before a QC started now would produce a virgin queen.

Depends when they were sealed, but 24 days from egg to emerging drone, and around 16 or so days more for the emerged drones to be fertile,and lots are not.

Depends when they were sealed, but 24 days from egg to emerging drone, and around 16 or so days more for the emerged drones to be fertile,and lots are not.

And there by hangs a tale!..........................

Not seen a single drone yet on the landing board of the Amm colonies.... a few, but very few on the NZ Italians....
I have not even began inspections as yet... let alone looking for queens!

So far have only marked queens if need arises to find easily for putting in Jenter, may even consider clipping this season.

6 weeks behind? at this rate it will be end of June before any increases/ queen rearing can bee attempted?:cuss:

Back