Dont do this...drop her majesty

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe9052

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2xWBC,1xPolyNAT,1Apidea,14x12Nuc
So, before you all read this and think 'stupid' how many have had the same happen?

Ok, so routine inspection going well, opened up and amazed that the ladies have filled and capped a super on three hives.

One hive had a grumpy queen in it, so earlier in the year (1-2 months ago) I requeened her and placed Mrs grumpy in nuc just in case.

So, i suddenly saw the new queen and thought need to mark her. Picked her up and thought.....no marking pen in pocket. Walked across to kit a few paces away and then the unthinkable happens...i dropped her.
Easy, just bend down and pick her up (short grass/worn soil).
But.
Then she slipped out my fingers. Gone. Spent an hour trying to find her. Even threw a frames worth of bees from her hive on the ground to see if they clumped around her.
Gave up.
Just went up to see if she had returned to hive....they were still roaring...
Its been dark for a few hours by now...
Noticed a couple of bees....nope....then...a couple more together on a leaf. Oh yes....there she is...sitting there on the leaf, with a couple of friends.
Picked the leaf and walked over to the front of her hive and placed leaf at entrance, and in she walks. Within a minute or so, bees then start fanning at entrance. Best i be a bit more careful next time.

Just though id share with you all.... a few lessons can be learnt...the biggest one, was throwing down the frames worth of bees....without them i really doubt i would have found her...

Biggest question I would ask is 'why on earth were you mucking about in the hive at this time of the year and especially fiddling with the queen?'
And the lesson learn?
don't inspect at this time of the year and certainly don't muck about with the queen​

Too risky to be marking a Q at this time of year. I'd leave it until there is a reasonable chance of them (or you) replacing her if something goes wrong. ie. April at the earliest.

Biggest question I would ask is 'why on earth were you mucking about in the hive at this time of the year and especially fiddling with the queen?'
And the lesson learn?
don't inspect at this time of the year and certainly don't muck about with the queen​

Totally Agree
Glad he found her to put back in. Leave marking until spring, much safer.
Can't understand why there are some still going in through frames & doing inspections late September. I wouldn't attempt it incase Queen got squished.

The above posters have a point, bit risky to be mucking about with the queen at this time of year. Glad you found her though. Great idea to throw some bees on the ground though :)

That calls for a pint.....what a find! Well done
E

just reassure some of you, although it is coming to the end of September, the bees don't think so, they are still very active bringing in lots of pollen and drawing out frames. The weather is only just starting to turn down here. Previous years i would have stopped inspecting by now...although this is likely to be my last one....

Joe

Yes we've all done it!

Good result - and thanks for the tip about shaking some bees on to the ground to act as 'markers'

richard

Back