Does this action sound about right?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianorsven

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went late afternoon to apiary for quick check that all ok. Just about to leave when spotted large (rugby ball plus) swarm hanging perfectly from magnolia tree!
Now, 2 of my 3 hives I ASed and was waiting for new queens in "parent" colonies and the third hive I Demareed only recently.
Quick look in AS hives with original queens suggested not from there - seemed as many bees as on Saturday - but didn't go through frames looking for Q as time pressing. Queen observed in bottom Demaree brood box. First "parent" colony had the large opened queen cell I watched queen emerge from but had fewer bees than expected AND another opened QC!! (Second "parent" colony looked well stocked with bees (but waiting for Q to be mated so didn't spend overly long looking)).
So with all 3 sets of spare equipment already used for two AS and a demaree I made the call and assumed swarm from first "parent" colony: moved 5 frames into a nuc, and shook bees from other frames in (plenty of room), thus releasing a hive for the swarm. Took this with no real bother and hived it just before rain shower and dusk!
Back tomorrow to remove QE from under hived swarm (didn't want her absconding but this might not have been absolutely necessary) and feed.
Cross I missed something and had a swarm but glad to have collected it.

It is so easy to miss a queen cell. It must happen to everyone because all the advice warns about it. When it happens to me they always land in the same place on my side fence. Maybe you have a 'lucky' magnolia.

Last edited:
I have a few questions.

Did you move the parent colonies just prior to queen emergence?

If so, did you move one to close to the position of the other (before that was moved)?

Did you check for late queen cells?

How many queen cells did you leave in the parent colonies?

In answer to your questions:

I moved each of the parent colonies 6 days after carrying out each AS, which were carried out one week apart.

The parent colonies ended up 3m-4m apart and 4m-5m away from either AS.

I left one large unsealed QC in each parent colony but ironically only checked for late QC in the first. I found around 6-8 all on one frame and destroyed them. It is at this stage that I think I may have missed another on a different frame.

I reckon the swarm came from the first parent colony because of the less than expected number of bees present and the second smaller (now empty) QC I saw yesterday but until I can check all hives more thoroughly I can't be sure.

Thank you for the interest and I would welcome any feedback.

A/Ss a week apart! That should have narrowed down the choices from where the swarm emanated!

Not going back and checking for late-drawn queen cells was a failing. It is important that no more than two cells are left and none are built in the boxes with the old queens.

Two cells always runs the risk of a cast swarm but moving the parent colony, just prior to emergence, reduces that chance. If you left open cells, you may have moved them a day early. You also, at that time, have the opportunity to reduce the two cells to a single one if you recognise what is a 'ripe' queen cell.

Seems like you may need to check the other colony urgently, to avoid more cast swarms?

Latest posts

Back