does bedrock affect honey yield

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
Does anyone know if bedrock affects honey yield or quality?
And if it does is there a list about the place somewhere?

I seem to rember some mention of it in manleys book and i think i have encountered it before however i cant find much info about it.
it would be interesting to add to my criteria for an out apiary

Flora has the propensity to erode the bedrock and create soil ?
As your bees will be forage a good few tens square miles , the ground cover at your apiary doesn't matter to any extent .
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i was thinking more on the lines of a limestone bedrock tends to lead to clover etc while a basalt or granite bedrock doesnt sandstone seems to be under bog at me. i thought it tied to ph in the soil.
I might have this completely wrong tho. hence the question.

My location bed maps show clay between 30 and 80 feet thick ( was once a hot bed for the brick making industry) but the flora seems the usual , all species of tree ,dandelion clover , all sorts of everything.
Modern farming is more likely to affect clover than under lying rock :)

There are some inconclusive studies on stuff like wild garlic about but i have not found any for general yeild as it pertains to the honeybee colony.

i understand that agriculture etc will affect yeilds (which i can check by driving around and google earth etc).
I am in the process of expanding my setup and would like to avoid 3 years of testing sites to find they are not much good because of chemical issues in the soil arising from the bedrock etc.

The search for knowledge continues

Check the soil associations site , maybe they list the of flora for your area . In fact I think I'll do that myself now that you have lit a candle :)
VM

Interesting question. Undelrying geology must partly determine soil composition and so type of plant cover- eg limestone or chalk close to surface would alkalinise soil- but so many other factors (soil depth, drainage patterns, rainfall, land use etc) not sure you could ever relate directly to honey yield..

i was thinking more on the lines of a limestone bedrock tends to lead to clover etc while a basalt or granite bedrock doesnt sandstone seems to be under bog at me. i thought it tied to ph in the soil.
I might have this completely wrong tho. hence the question.

The geology, soil type, drainage and microclimate will all influence what grows best there.
But I don't think any sweeping generalisations about geology alone and nectar quality/quantity are likely.

The same plant, growing in different soil conditions will yield differently.
Soil moisture level affects the quantity, but seemingly not the composition of the nectar produced.
I've seen a reference to clover and boron in the soil. Changing the soil's boron concentration altered the fructose/glucose ratio in the clover nectar. Such subtle affects are probably why expert wine tasters can detect the difference between wines from nearby vineyards on different soil types. While the Bordeaux area is vast, some of the 'domaines' are truly tiny. One hive could forage over all the domaines of the Pomerol area, and a good bit of Saint Emilion too.
Unless you have a means of restricting your bees to some chosen "terroir", its all going to be blended in the hive and then again in the extraction. I don't see much scope for vineyard-style ultra-localised varietal honey!

But frankly, I'd say skip the middleman (geology). Look at the result - the plants that are growing in the area - that is what matters more than why they are growing there.

The geology, soil type, drainage and microclimate will all influence what grows best there.
But I don't think any sweeping generalisations about geology alone and nectar quality/quantity are likely.

Mun, I do like that first sentence, the second could be argued IMO.

Hard stony ground rarely, if ever, does better than a bit of lushness.

A good example of plants and bedrock vs nectar would be the heather on the Ordovician slate of the Preseli hills vs the heather on the red sandtone of the Brecon beacons, the red sandstone winning out on heather honey production every time.

Are the two areas managed, strip burned etc? As this could (will) influence heather growth and I suspect, nectar quality.
VM

Are the two areas managed, strip burned etc? As this could (will) influence heather growth and I suspect, nectar quality.
VM

I've extensively walked them both and tried both with bees, the comparison is with roughly equivalent grazing, managem,ent, age of heather, elevation, in a season with not dissimilar weather, I put it down to bedrock and subsequent soil type.

Are the two areas managed, strip burned etc?
In essence - no! apart from the litle area of grouse moor above Brynmair which occasionally gets 'accidentally' strip burned (don't ask me how that happens - I blame kids myself, but who drives them up there???)
Brecon Beacons National Parks staff haven't a clue on effective heather moors management.

Last edited:
What seems to be coming across form the answers is that bedrock doesnt affect honey yeild!

However it is hard to imagine that no correlation exists since soil type does affect honey yeild.
And soil type is a byproduct of the bedrock it is on and the chemical nature of that bedrock.

i am not trying to deminish the importance of the other factors like management agriculture etc but to add another level of depth to my apiary siting criteria.

Not necessarily ! Think flood plain and deposited materials from places far away!
VM

Latest posts

Back