Do you have VSH Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a scientist why do you have any overlap, small cell has been peer reviewed and found to be bunkum based on Africanised bees. As to bibba not sure I’d look to them for anything, would we be right in assuming then that your EVERYONE is a few bibba members?I remember them wanting black bees now the core value is local😂 please what is this area/region of none treaters.

As a scientist I was simply being transparent about my methodology - I use foundationless frames partly as a cost-saving anad partly because I do not want to expose my bees to wax that I have no control over the source of - this may or may not be important but I have eliminated it from my variables.

I have no idea where the "Everyone" quote came from I was merely pointing out that you were probably more likely to find Beeks with an interest in developing varroa resistant bees in Bibba than in the other organisations you mentioned.

The only area of non-treatment I can reveal to you is my own which is to the N-W of Glasgow along the Endrick valley. I will respect other's right to keep their locations to themselves as I would with other scientist's data.

Last edited:
I think BIBBA would be a better place to find out.

Is that the organisation with less than 1,000 members?

The WBKA has easily double BIBBA's.

Steve Jobs have nothing to do with honeybee survivors. Meither Einstein. There is no country on globe, where honeybees have vanished for varroa.

Bazzer, it seems that you have such knowledge, which no one else did not have.

But Bazzer, I can see from one senyence that you are not an expert in this area.

You say that survivors flourish year after year when others are died.

If you bother to read about survivors, they are just and just alive. Like Russian bee's typical winter cluster is 3 frames, it cannot build up in spring, even a tiny colony stays alive to the Spring.
Same in Gotland Sweden. From 150 mite tolerant moved colonies only 30 are alive now. Their winter cluster size is now after 10 years typically 3 frames. Such colony cannot go over winter in Finland. And such colony cannot get joney yield in the UK.

I think Bazzer, that you are more believer than a beebreeder. If you are right in your opinions, we would not have varroa issue on this globe.

So you are saying Russian bees never yield any honey - they just survive?
Relatively small over wintering cluster size is a feature that my bees share with other black bees - it may be a major hinderance for colony growth with Italian bees in Finland but is not a problem for my bees in Scotland

Old stories. Africanized bee is 10% smaller than European bee. That is why it has been mixed to the scutellata resistance.

Natural combs help nothing against varroa. In every cpuntry natural / feral colonies died first, when varria Rrived tl the district.

Like in USA Michael Bush spoke about natural cpmbs and wrote that professional beekeepers had biggest hive losses. Actuaöly natural beekeepers had biggest losses up to 70%.

These same things have repeated year after year as long as I have hanged on these forums.

So you are saying Russian bees never yield any honey - they just survive?

I did not say that . It was you. You can read about Russian bees from American studies.

Lets say that to me 30 kg yield is limit of nothing.

If the colony has 3 frames in May, it does not get nothing in June, neither July. 10 Kg per hive is to me nothing. Why I should I go backwards 60 years because of resistant bees? I would return to the point where I started without beekeeping skills.

I did not say that . It was you. You can read about Russian bees from American studies.

Lets say that to me 30 kg yield is limit of nothing.

If the colony has 3 frames in May, it does not get nothing in June, neither July. 10 Kg per hive is to me nothing. Why I should I go backwards 60 years because of resistant bees? I would return to the point where I started without beekeeping skills.

Since there is no compulsion for you to get varroa resistant bees perhaps you should not stress so much? If you ever watch the video I posted you will see the yields the Irish beefarmer has got from his black bees over the years. And he never lets his colonies have more than 10 frames of brood.

it may be a major hinderance for colony growth with Italian bees in Finland but is not a problem for my bees in Scotland

I know, that colonies grow in Scotland as fast as in Finland.

Brood cyckle is 3 weeks.

A hive full of bees in willow blooming time can grow 8 frames of brood, but 3 frame colony can grow only one frame.

Then we are in July. At the beginning of July I can add next box more to the hive. Soon the hive has 2 langstroth box brood. In June I must add every week one box more.

To 3 frame hive I can add next box at the beginning of August, but yield flowers are gone then.

Good yields over 100 - 150 kg depends on pastures, but a hive must be big enough to store all nectar daily, what it gets from pastures.

we're still waiting to learn where this area in the UK is that all the beekeepers have decided to go TF

The only area of non-treatment I can reveal to you is my own which is to the N-W of Glasgow along the Endrick valley. I will respect other's right to keep their locations to themselves as I would with other scientist's data.

I know, that colonies grow in Scotland as fast as in Finland.

Brood cyckle is 3 weeks.

A hive full of bees in willow blooming time can grow 8 frames of brood, but 3 frame colony can grow only one frame.

Then we are in July. At the beginning of July I can add one box more to the hive and in every week one box more.

To 3 frame hive I can add next box at the beginning of August, but yield flowers are gone then.

Good yields over 100 kg depends on pastures, but a hive must be big enough to store all nectar daily, what it gets from pastures.

It is a shame you don't have heather in Aug/Sept like we do

It is a shame you don't have heather in Aug/Sept like we do

It is. We have lots of heather, but grouds are dry, and heather gives nothing on sand and on cliffs.

We have much, what we do not have.

I have seen your mountains in videos. Sheep and deers have eaten every tree and bush in scenery .That is why you have heather so much.

If I could shoose, I would prefer to take 30 metre tall forest than 30 cm high heather carpet.

It is. We have lots of heather, but grouds are dry, and heather gives nothing on sand and on cliffs.

We have much, what we do not have.

I have seen your mountains in videos. Sheep and deers have eaten every tree and bush in scenery .That is why you have heather so much.
Actually the reason we historically have so much heather is that grouse eat the fresh stems and the aristocracy loved to spend their holidays shooting grouse
https://www.gwct.org.uk/research/species/birds/red-grouse/Sheep and deer are the reason we have so few upland trees.

It will be a long time for the UK but maybe this will be the only Brexit benefit? There are already some areas where everyone has agreed not to treat their bees - with time the survivors in these areas will dominate the genetics and they will then start to spread.
The everyone quote came from your good self.

Isn’t Murray that direction? You know the biggest commercial beek in the country😉

care to enlighten us, or, like any question aimed at you, are we going to experience another load of obfuscation and waffle?
as a 'scientist' you seem to think that half facts and assumptions mixed with a dash of pseudo science is sufficient to prove whatever point you are trying to make
No thank you - happy to let the readers decide whether your proposition is true or not.

Latest posts

Back