do bees attract bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I just found out today that a lady four doors up had a swarm in her garden last week,she had no idea I keep bees and so she rang the council,but they had moved on by the time he arrived,do bees get attracted by other bees near by or was it just a coincidence?

I vote yes too,

No bees in our village until this time last year or mentions of swarms in the past; three beekeepers now and I collected a swarm earlier this week from the village hall.

No-one seems to have lost any bees either unless they are too embarrassed to say so :redface:

A friend with 8+ hives regularly has swarms move into his apiary...He leaves beginners hves in there to attract bees for them...

Certainly the bumble and other bee count is well up around my garden. Half a dozen small bumbles rootling around in an empty nuc, picking over the wax and debris on the bottom.

Certainly the bumble and other bee count is well up around my garden. Half a dozen small bumbles rootling around in an empty nuc, picking over the wax and debris on the bottom.

Found a dead queen bumble in the bottom of a hive the other day. Seems my lightweights couldn't sort the eviction notice between them. Shame though.

We often come in from the apiary wearing the odd solitary bee picked up in passing.

I also vote yes

I have a bait hive at home, with no other colonies nearby - no swarms this last or this year. Despite dosing with Lemon Grass Oil, and having used frames in the hive.

My friend a few villages away has three hives in his garden, and has had swarms in his garden for the last 3 years running.

Very difficult to scientifically prove, but I do think bees attract bees.

I think scout bees follow foraging bees, so yes, they do.

That sounds like the strategy used by lazy journalists and the Internet . . . :hurray:

I just found out today that a lady four doors up had a swarm in her garden last week,she had no idea I keep bees and so she rang the council,but they had moved on by the time he arrived,do bees get attracted by other bees near by or was it just a coincidence?

We have lived in our home for 23 years and only this year (my second year beekeeping) have I had swarms in and around my garden - there are other beeks within a mile of me now too. So my vote is definitely 'yes'
Louise

We have lived in our home for 23 years and only this year (my second year beekeeping) have I had swarms in and around my garden - there are other beeks within a mile of me now too. So my vote is definitely 'yes'
Louise

To an extent that will simply be just swapping swarms...

To add to this discussion I had a strage experience the other day. For various reasons I brought a nuc into my garden for the first time on a nice sunny day (my main hive is some distance away). Whilst the entrance was still closed I must have had well over 100 curious local bees getting up close and personal with the nuc. It was quite a sight

I good with everyone else, had a swarm on my allotment that has bees and a couple of swarms on the farm where I keep the bees. None at home where I have the equipment but interested parties around and about, just a matter of time!?
Happy Keep Beeing!

Latest posts

Back