DLQ supercedure question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Here's a thought.

I have a DLQ.

I think I foolishly interrupted supercedure once (or twice) last year, or even the year before! (the bees knew what was coming)

Do you think if I put a frame of eggs in there now then they might go ahead and supersede her?

I know it's not an ideal time at all for queen rearing - but as a concept - I was just pondering on it.

Here's a thought.

I have a DLQ.

I think I foolishly interrupted supercedure once (or twice) last year, or even the year before! (the bees knew what was coming)

Do you think if I put a frame of eggs in there now then they might go ahead and supersede her?

I know it's not an ideal time at all for queen rearing - but as a concept - I was just pondering on it.

Your hive is not Q- so your bees will not have any drive to raise any queens...

Your hive is not Q- so your bees will not have any drive to raise any queens...

Of course.

But they did try once or twice to supercede her, so there is somewhat of a drive to raise a new queen. They may be aware that she is failing. Like they were aware that she was going to.

I agree that it would probably be futile. But do you see how I came to this theory? (as daft as it sounds)

Last edited:
Of course.

But they did try once or twice to supercede her, so there is somewhat of a drive to raise a new queen. They may be aware that she is failing. Like they were aware that she was going to.

I agree that it would probably be futile. But do you see how I came to this theory? (as daft as it sounds)

Just take her out then put your frame in
Have you got drones flying?
Have you got the resources to add another frame or two sequentially?
If not take her out and shake the bees out. Give the drone brood to the birds

Just take her out then put your frame in

Have you got drones flying?

Have you got the resources to add another frame or two sequentially?

If not take her out and shake the bees out. Give the drone brood to the birds

Well all the drones are flying from her hive of course!

Well all the drones are flying from her hive of course!

I didn’t realise sorry
I foolishly presumed you had spotted just lots of drone brood.
My answer still applies. Depends if you have the resources to fiddle with them.
I would kill her and shake them out.

Here's a thought.

I have a DLQ.

Buy a new laying Queen.

I know I know.

All your suggestions make perfect sense. Was just curious as a thought experiment.

On another note has anyone ever experienced a drone layer (who was previously a laying queen) coming back in to lay?

ie checked a hive after winter. Found it full of drone brood. Gone back a week later or so into the season, and things are back on track?

Or is it (most likely) once they are done they are done?

No.

What is the cause of a queen becoming a DLQ?

Precisely.

PH

Here's a thought.

I have a DLQ.

Do you think if I put a frame of eggs in there now then they might go ahead and supersede her?.

You've been given the textbook answer. Why not just follow through with your experiment? They're your bees after all

No.

What is the cause of a queen becoming a DLQ?

Precisely.

PH

A Drone has a "Haploid" gene set, a single set of genes.

A "Non-Drone" has a "Diploid" gene set (the "Di" in "Diploid" means two).

In normal activity the Queen can choose to lay Drones by not fertilising eggs (from the supply of sperm she acquired at mating time) or she can lay females by fertilising them, which she normally does.

So there are 3 basic ways she can be drone layer:
1. (Rare): Sperm is an exact match of her own genes (Mated with brother).
2. (Postulated as most common): She runs out of sperm.
3. (Also suggested as common): A malfunction of blockage in her sperm store / sperm delivery system means she becomes unable to deliver the sperm to the egg.

A better, fuller explanation is here http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/genetics.html

There are many write ups on the Web, but I have given my best understanding there :)

K

Here's a small nuc that I found this spring with a DLQ. They were trying to supercedure her.
Presumably before she laid her final fertilised egg?
Or could that be a drone in that queen cell.

DLQ queen cell 1.jpg

DLQ queen cell 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back