Dissection talk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I was asked to give a talk on the internal organs of the worker bee these are what i came up with. Any questions?

Nice photos. I don't want to appear as the spelling police but if you're using these for your talks - you have spelt 'dissection' incorrectly on the last slide. :)

Nick

Hi Free fall,
Thank you for pointing out my miss-steak. I thought the comment about bees having individual personalities would have brought a comment or two. OH well, perhaps we do not look further than our noses.

Mo

I've only tried this a few times.
When embedding in the wax I found after I melted it with the bar the wax set again before I could get the bee well embedded. Any tips?

Hi Free fall,
Thank you for pointing out my miss-steak. I thought the comment about bees having individual personalities would have brought a comment or two. OH well, perhaps we do not look further than our noses.

Mo

Sorry, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, I have a 'gift' for proof reading and this jumped out at me.

The personality thing is certainly interesting - if they all thought exactly the same, then would there be no scout bees?

Nick

Nice photos and well presented although it looks like pictures from an Alien 3 movie and not for me, I don't mind diagrams but thing cut up makes me feel sick sorry

Hi Peter S,
When i use the hot piece of copper to melt the wax i have the bee in the left hand ready to embed. I hold the bee by her wings after cutting some of the legs off (leave stubbles of the legs for extra grip in embedding). By holding the bee with her wings its easy to slide the bee into the melted wax with a slight pushing forward motion ( thus stretching the abdomen).

Hey Free Fall i am glad you did check my spelling as miss spelt words detract from the substance being written about. (Have just used the spell checker). Not sure on spelt? Hey no scout bees then what no food and a decline in the colony. I believe too many scientists try to equate insects with humans which is impossible.

Mo

Back