Disadvantages of Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it puts strain on your relationships, Jo claims she's a 'bee widow' from May - September.

C B

lack of consistent information. if you ask a question you get many different answers, poles apart, then the bickering starts. Result - best guess and see what happens.

:iagree:

Bee Exam

Thanks for all your answers, some of them amusing but true! The prize goes to
Simon Kerr for a full answer!

BoutBees

Pre-occupation and the wierdest of reference points on what time of year it is.

The habit of looking at the bbc weather forcast for the next 5 days and trying to plan when to open up the hives .. Then looking a few hours later and finding its all ruddy changed !
:eek:

Having to justify why I need to spend hundreds of pounds on the bees yet again and trying to predict when the new hives will produce a honey crop to cover those expenses....
I think we should have a section where we add the answers to the above questions that we have all used in the past, I’m sure there are some more creative types out there than me! :)

Brian

I cannot believe how my first year of beekeeping has tested my courage and caused so much worry through the night. When they are Q+ and there's a flow on they're amazingly well behaved. When the weather's bad or they swarm into the neighbour's garden it's like keeping thousands of homicidal snakes at the bottom of the garden.

To be more specific, there's only one disadvantage to beekeeping, and that's BEES STING. If they didn't everyone would have a hive. Because they do then only the most competent, intelligent and patient people keep them succesfully. Hats off to real beekeepers. I'm only practicing.

To be more specific, there's only one disadvantage to beekeeping, and that's BEES STING. If they didn't everyone would have a hive. Because they do then only the most competent, intelligent and patient people keep them succesfully. Hats off to real beekeepers. I'm only practicing.

Why do bees get such a bad press - badly behaved dogs bite (and even kill) and scare a lot of people - I've had a nasty bite from a Hamster (don't laugh) - and cats aren't beyond giving people a very painful scratch!

I know that some people can react badly to a sting - and I'm not trying to trivialise that - but just think about the animals that are 'acceptably' kept as pets - and I think someone mentioned pigs - they can cause a lot of damage to a person too!

I know of someone with four or five leopards.

Snakes are yet another group, both venomous and constricting.

Ive kept and bred tarantulas since about 1992, never been bitten .. touch wood .. now bees and stings bee-smillie:eek: :)

The disadvantage of beekeeping is other people.

That is all.

id say there are a few major ones
1 its a addiction (just like fags and booze i want more all the time)
2 its not cheap
3 it takes over your life.

Ive kept and bred tarantulas since about 1992, never been bitten.

Lovely, almost furry(?). Nothing against spiders, in the main - in fact we encourage them rather than the alternative - but if you had 50 000 of them in a box, it might just be a little different!

Regards, RAB

Ive kept and bred tarantulas since about 1992, never been bitten .. touch wood .. now bees and stings bee-smillie:eek: :)

Hay Lance...... I have had many tarantulas over the years and I love them, only got two now…a Costa Rican Zebra and a Mombasa Golden Starburst Baboon!

:)

Latest posts

Back