Disadvantages of Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fanaticism, and always reading websites.

Having to decide between the bees or the MG Midget on the one day of the week when the weather is good enough to take the tops off either of them.

Ian

constantly find myself sticking to the floor and doors after frame cleaning or extracting honey - propolis like super glue on the steering wheel (and I wear marigolds!)
oh yes and the moaning neighbours about bee pooh....
and dragging a wheelbarrow 300 metres up a rabbit pocked field in 30 oC with a super of honey and a knot of bees in hot pursuit of said honey ...
.... spare bedroom full of bee stuff....

love it.....

Coming up with different, convincing, excuses each year for a pitiful honey crop.

"Spending all day on this forum"

the more time you are on the forum the less time there is to get stung!!!!! unless your wi-fi network extends to your hives!!!!

The cost, not having enough time or space, the moaning husband. Dealing with ignorant members of the public who don't know the difference between a honey bee and a bumble bee. Oh and everyone is apparently allergic to bee stings.

Can anyone tell me the DISADVANTAGES of beekeeping, I am trying to formulate an answer for a bee exam.

Any input gratefully received

BoutBees:)

Some beekeepers seem to think they know it all and are set in the ancient ways, some even say it's down to years of experience blah blah.....the truth of the matter is there just grumpy old people who need to get a life before it's tooooo late!! :smilielol5:

They just don't like younger beekeepers or anyone telling them otherwise!!:sport-smiley-002:

:sifone:

lack of consistent information. if you ask a question you get many different answers, poles apart, then the bickering starts. Result - best guess and see what happens.

The fact that as soon as you mention that you are a beekeeper to a member of public, they want to talk endlessly about varroa and CCD. Oh, and they always say "Kate Humble has got bees hasn't she?"

Grrrrrrr.

Oh, and they always say "Kate Humble has got bees hasn't she?"

Grrrrrrr.

or Bill Turnbull, Philippa Forrester, "Jill Archer" etc.

I am more swayed by Sherlock Holmes and Winston Churchill as fellow bee keepers (though I have read and enjoyed Bill and Philippa's books).

Itchy stings!

Like the sting on the back of my hand that kept me awake ALL last night!

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:AAAAGH itchyitchyitchyitchyitchyitchy mustn'tscratchmustn'tscratch

I'm fortunately not allergic, and don't react to stings as badly as some, but I still find that only ice can really shift the annoyance of a hot, itchy bee sting... and my freezer is out of ice cubes!

:cool:But hey - it's all worth it to see that plump, glossy queen bee and her neatly placed eggs in their perfect hexagons... and feel the weight of those supers!

Itchy stings!

Like the sting on the back of my hand that kept me awake ALL last night!

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:AAAAGH itchyitchyitchyitchyitchyitchy mustn'tscratchmustn'tscratch

I'm fortunately not allergic, and don't react to stings as badly as some, but I still find that only ice can really shift the annoyance of a hot, itchy bee sting... and my freezer is out of ice cubes!

!

Galpharms' Hydrocortisone 1% Bite and Sting Relief Cream works wonders on stings. Pain gone in 10 mins, stops itches as well..
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Galpharm-Hydrocortisone-Sting-Relief-Cream/dp/B004A6KPE6[/ame]

Highly recommended. I keep mine in beesuit pocket.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!
I find that hydrocortisone cream doesn't work for very long in my case... although it definitely has some effect for a while. The Savlon sting gel didn't work at all, and the ammonia-based ones only seem to have an effect if you use them almost immediately. Fortunately I don't need them much... but for some reason yesterday's sting is particularly itchy.

Back