did I do the right thing ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The European Hornet is a feared insect. Apocryphal stories of " 3 stings killing a horse" or " one sting will kill a baby" are not based on fact. They are in fact gentle giants. They were pushed to the edge of extinction in England by man's persecution but managed to maintain a toehold in the New Forest. In the last 10 years or so they have managed to reestablish themselves. Their venom is no more toxic than that of a Honey Bee or Wasp, but it does contain different constituants that exites nerves more, therebye leading to a much more painfull sting.
The Asian Hornets from Japan and China and totaly different in that they are much more dangerous to both man and Honey Bees. There is a macabre symmetry as the Asian Giant Hornet attacks and kills Honey Bees to carry off the larvae and pupae to feed them selves and their young where man seeks out the Hornet nests as their pupae are regarded as a delicacy.
Rather than operate a scorched earth policy in the vacinity of bee hives, new beekepers should take the oppertunity to understand and tolerate other insects and creatures that surround and live with us.

Dont know about tolerate but I run the wind if a hornet heads in my direction! Not many things make me scream like a girl but hornets take number one spot. They are like WW2 bombers flying at you. They scare the pants off me!!! :)

I've heard all sorts of differing things about hornets, varying from "they're harmless gentle giants" to "if you're stung it's a hospital job". Down here in Sussex we've had some of the vast European jobs, and they can be intensely intimidating - the first one I saw buzzed round the kitchen, and then hovered about 3 feet from my face, with it's large head swivelling (presumably locking on weapons systems) - it suffered the same fate any Apache attack helicopter imitator that gives me an acute attack of the willies can expect.......... :coolgleamA:

That sounds horrendous :willy_nilly: I thought hornets were harmless, so for years I've not been worried about them, but run screaming from bees and wasps? Only now to find they can sting......you've turned my whole world upside down now lol

Better make it two bee suits Dave W - I measured the stinger of both the European and Asian hornet today, a very scary 3.4mm.:ack2:

Thurrock Bees - PM me your address and I'll send you both varieties:)

I accidentally walked through a swarm of hornets. They were very knd to me! Phew. I have always found them to be gentle. I try not to harm anything. At our club apiary the other weekend we shared it with an adder. It was very pretty and very shy.

I accidentally walked through a swarm of hornets. They were very knd to me! Phew. I have always found them to be gentle. I try not to harm anything. At our club apiary the other weekend we shared it with an adder. It was very pretty and very shy.

Cool, I have never seen an adder.

You are lucky. :)

Thurrock Bees - PM me your address and I will send you some specimens of both European and Asian hornet.

Regards Mike

Doh! It occured to me today. I'm thinking of hoverflies. Oh dear, my mixed up head :smilielol5:

Anyone else suprised I've got to the age I have lol?

Have you checked that your 'hornet' wasn't a hover fly? There is one that looks very similar to a hornet and is often mistaken for one.

Latest posts

Back