Device

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone knows anything about this tool I have had it for about 20 years but I'am sure it is a lot older than that
I done a bit of research and one end is called a handheld vice and the other end has a pulley with pawl and ratchet. I don't know what it was used for but someone did say probably the ship building industry but i would like to know exact use

How big is it? Can you take another photo with a tape measure next to it?

My money would be on a line tensioner - for use when laying out plates, checking for straightness - that kind of thing. Nowadays done with laser theodolites ...

Basically the same idea as the orange line that brickies use when building walls. Only with something to clamp onto the steel.

... unless someone knows different ?

LJ

with the notch in the jaws i would agree some old line/cable tensioning tool.

Anyone knows anything about this tool I have had it for about 20 years but I'am sure it is a lot older than that
I done a bit of research and one end is called a handheld vice and the other end has a pulley with pawl and ratchet. I don't know what it was used for but someone did say probably the ship building industry but i would like to know exact use

It's an overhead power line tensioning vice. I have one in my workshop slowly decaying since its last use in anger n years ago.
Most 230/400volt electrical systems seem to be installed underground nowadays for security against theft.

It's an overhead power line tensioning vice. I have one in my workshop slowly decaying since its last use in anger n years ago.
Most 230/400volt electrical systems seem to be installed underground nowadays for security against theft.
Hey Well done, you solved the 20 year old mystery, cant wait to tell them in work tomorrow, thank you

Latest posts

Back