Dented extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
I managed to dent my stainless steel extractor - see pic. It is still usable, but I would like to repair it if possible.

Bearing in mind my general uselessness at DIY, do you think a car body shop the best option to repair or would anyone armed with a hammer be able to knock it (roughly) back into shape. Don't want to damage further

Attachments

• dent.jpg
    dent.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 197
Hit it on the inside with a rubber mallet.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

We have the same extractor bought at roughly the same time. If you knock the dent out, might there be a danger of cracking the weld round the valve seat. If it is still working ok I would leave well alone.

Sometimes the car guys use the glass suction pads to pull out dents. If you could get a smallish one on it could work

It looks like you have bashed the spout and dished the wall around it. It may ping back out if you fill it to the brim with water to give some pressure inside and give the spout some sharp tugs. -Worth a try at least, you've nothing to lose. A more 'industrial' fix would be to rig up an airtight lid with a tyre valve in it and pop it out using an air line. I've seen this done with fermentation tanks.
Good luck, whichever method you choose!

Last edited:
A hydraulic bottle car jack will gently push the dent out, lay it on its side and use a 2 inch block of wood to even the pressure when you start jacking and a piece of thin ply wood on the foot of the jack so it bends to the same curve as the extractor.

A hydraulic bottle car jack will gently push the dent out, lay it on its side and use a 2 inch block of wood to even the pressure when you start jacking and a piece of thin ply wood on the foot of the jack so it bends to the same curve as the extractor.
This ^^ and using a small sandbag between the wood and the extractor.

Just push it firmly but gently from the inside -- the steel is very thin you really don't need toolsl, hammers or undue pressure. With a bit of luck the dent will pop back out - it might leave a small crease but if that's the worst you get then you have had a result. I had a dent in the side of my extractor when it arrived when I bought it .. just pressed the dent from the inside and it went 'ping' and went more or less back into shape.

Give it a go .. what have you got to lose ?

Just push it firmly but gently from the inside -- the steel is very thin you really don't need toolsl, . . . . . . . . . . . . With a bit of luck the dent will pop back out .?
Just remember the steel is very thin
. . . . . . . .Give it a go .. what have you got to lose ?

It could split or the connection could fail.
Result - you'll need to buy a replacement!

If it aint broken; DON'T FIX IT! :hairpull:

Just remember the steel is very thin

It could split or the connection could fail.
Result - you'll need to buy a replacement!

If it aint broken; DON'T FIX IT! :hairpull:

But it is bent .. odds are that it could catch the basket when the the thing is spinning ..

I'd be very surprised if it split ... perhaps bend a bit more but it won't split .. and in the awful event that it did ... someone with a TIG welder would sort it in five minutes ,,,

But it is bent .. odds are that it could catch the basket when the the thing is spinning ..

I'd be very surprised if it split ... perhaps bend a bit more but it won't split .. and in the awful event that it did ... someone with a TIG welder would sort it in five minutes ,,,

The el cheapo extractors are very thin. It would be as tricky as welding baco-foil :(

Looks like a gentle pull in the valve will fix that, but if it does not interfere with the basket just leave it.

Thanks for all the replies. My feeling is that it is not that thin, but I am nervous of creating an unnecessary crack or damaging the connection with the tap. Will be doing another extract in three weeks so may wait and see how it performs then (don't think it will interfere with the spinning)

It's stainless steel.
Just repair the damage how you made it. Clout it with your hand or a rubber mallet. It wants to be the shape it was made.
It won't crack.

Salaam Sidi Abeille

If its preventing proper functioning of your honey extraction machine : rubber mallet is the best BUT I would first try to remove the tap before hitting the back of the steel (it is not totally inconceivable in that awkward position to hit the back of the tap and increase the damage) Then try to repair, then fix tap back.

If however your machine works : why would you bother ?

Its not a lamborghini he ? :)

Buoyed up by some of the comments here I did what I should have probably done in the first place, just tried straightening out by hand - and lo and behold as several has suggested it pinged straight out making me feel a proper charlie!

Thanks again to all who bothered to reply

You are welcome. I am glad you didn't need to resort to my suggestion.

Difficult to explain in the shop, "I need that one to fix my honey extractor" ............

"Of course you do sir"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back