Demaree'd, now what to do with frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davnig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Demaree'd one of my hives 3 weeks ago so all brood will have emerged by this weekend.

I know from the last inspection that they have started storing honey. So, what do with them; extraction is problematic as they're 14 x 12.

My initial thought was to place under new brood box and bruise the frames so they take it up. But l don't want HM going back down and laying; and QX would mean lots of dead drones stuck trying to get out!

What have you done in this situation?

Could you add a swarm board with an exit for the drones? That's that's kind of what I did.

Demaree'd one of my hives 3 weeks ago so all brood will have emerged by this weekend.

I know from the last inspection that they have started storing honey. So, what do with them; extraction is problematic as they're 14 x 12.

My initial thought was to place under new brood box and bruise the frames so they take it up. But l don't want HM going back down and laying; and QX would mean lots of dead drones stuck trying to get out!

Personally any frames that are full and capped I store and use for feed later in the year, any frames that are open stores I use for making Nucs / put as the end frames in the next box for demaree.

I do have an eke with an entrance cut out, I could use that, sometimes the answer is staring you in the face, literally in this case because it's currently below the top brood for exactly that purpose!!

I also like the idea of using for later splits, I'm sure there will be some!

In a Demarree, once brood has emerged in the top box those frames should be put into the bottom box (where the queen is) and a frame of fresh brood/eggs should be taken out of the bottom box and put into the top - with the resulting QC control etc. That is how a proper Demarree works, you keep on doing this until swarming fever has abated.

In a Demarree, once brood has emerged in the top box those frames should be put into the bottom box (where the queen is) and a frame of fresh brood/eggs should be taken out of the bottom box and put into the top - with the resulting QC control etc. That is how a proper Demarree works, you keep on doing this until swarming fever has abated.

Or just swap both box's again and do another demaree. You can do that several times!
E

Or just swap both box's again and do another demaree. You can do that several times!
E

:iagree: in theory

However the 1st year I tried the demaree, during OSR flow, I found all the frames in the top box jam packed with honey by the end of 3 weeks!

Not sure it's good to put the Queen on a BB full of honey with no place to lay!

I have this year tried removing frames of stores when I inspect the top box and even putting in some frames of foundation to get them drawn out. This appears to work.

How are you finding the Demaree procedure on 14x12?

I've had concerns over lifting weight at height. With my setup and two Supers, the theoretical height is over 1.5 metres.

Incidentally, how many Supers did you place in the stack? From what I've read, "several" Supers are suggested!

CVB

How are you finding the Demaree procedure on 14x12?

I've had concerns over lifting weight at height. With my setup and two Supers, the theoretical height is over 1.5 metres.

Incidentally, how many Supers did you place in the stack? From what I've read, "several" Supers are suggested!

CVB

I used 2 supers. It is quite high but actually the top box is at quite a nice height to inspect. I can see that it could become quite hard work to do, luckily i'm still fairly flexible with some upper body strength!

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have the same issue - I did a bailey comb change and now have a 14x12 full of pollen and capped & uncapped stores. A lot of it is crystallised too. I was going to treat it with acetic acid (to rid of any nasties) and place it (once aired out) under the brood body with a QE and a new entrance as suggested in this thread?

Will the bees clean this out and move it into the main brood body if I place it under the brood body?

I was going to start a new thread but though it silly to as people would need to repost their comments twice.

Thanks
PC

Latest posts

Back