Demaree method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show me the honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The brood frames above the Queen excluder have been filled with honey I swapped these round with the ones below but left a 2 frames of emerging brood as I was a bit unsure

Will the bees move the honey up making room for her to lay?

"Will the bees move the honey up making room for her to lay?"

Likely they will, in time.
To quote a colloquial found in the forum... "a lot of faffing around" to achieve
what could be done way more efficiently with frame shuffles, and arguably
less work.
Buuuut where you are trying to prove whatever for your own interest..?.. go for
it.

Bill

The brood frames above the Queen excluder have been filled with honey I swapped these round with the ones below but left a 2 frames of emerging brood as I was a bit unsure

I''m assuming you are running a 'rolling' Demarree - taking more brood frames out of the bottom box to put up top and replacing with emerged frames from the top? In which case, yes they will, unless it's already ripened and capped

I demaree most of my colonies and after 3 weeks swap the top and bottom boxes (unless I am using them to finish off q cells or creat nuclei). Most of my colonies bees will then move the honey even the sealed honey to create laying room. I also find that when running double broods that some colonies store and seal honey in several frames in the upper box, I find they too will shift it if I swap the boxes around with frames of honey put in bottom box.

Give to bees foundations. It prevents swarming and the hive will have room to lay.

Your operation only consumes bees' energy. Let the frames become full and capped and then extract.

Bees should have feeling that they have empty space in the hive. That does not help if bees store the honey up, and you put them move the honey again.

I demaree most of my colonies and after 3 weeks swap the top and bottom boxes (unless I am using them to finish off q cells or creat nuclei). Most of my colonies bees will then move the honey even the sealed honey to create laying room. I also find that when running double broods that some colonies store and seal honey in several frames in the upper box, I find they too will shift it if I swap the boxes around with frames of honey put in bottom box.

Move the honey frames up and extract them, when they are ready.

To swap the sealed frames down? That is not wise.

When bees move syrup to combs for winterfood and cap the food, they consume 24% out of orignal sugar. When you put bees move ready stores to the new place, you loose quite lot from that honey.

Move the frames back to top and give to the hive foundations.

What is demaree.... Look from internet " demaree method maarec".
Maarec is consortion of 6 US beekeeping university. There is now updated booklet from year 2016.

It is " Comparing swarming preventing methods."

I''m assuming you are running a 'rolling' Demarree - taking more brood frames out of the bottom box to put up top and replacing with emerged frames from the top? In which case, yes they will, unless it's already ripened and capped

Yes that’s exactly what I’m doing/have done.

They have filled a lot of the brood frames up and wasn’t sure if by putting them back in the bottom box she would have space to lay.

"Will the bees move the honey up making room for her to lay?"

Likely they will, in time.
To quote a colloquial found in the forum... "a lot of faffing around" to achieve
what could be done way more efficiently with frame shuffles, and arguably
less work.
Buuuut where you are trying to prove whatever for your own interest..?.. go for
it.

Bill

Ok mate

Yes that’s exactly what I’m doing/have done.

They have filled a lot of the brood frames up and wasn’t sure if by putting them back in the bottom box she would have space to lay.
Take sealed brood from the bottom and move it up to top, take vacated comb from top (with or without stores) and put in bottom box

Take sealed brood from the bottom and move it up to top, take vacated comb from top (with or without stores) and put in bottom box

That’s what I have done. Just the frames are full with stores! Just needed some reassurance that they would make room fur her to lay.

The list of people who haven't a clue as to how
Demarree works has got a fair bit longer the last few weeks

Where you are taking names and making notes you might
also factor in why that ignorance exists?
Tis a lot of stuffing around, wasting both time and energy..
... for bees, hence a "thing" only for the curious.

... just some help with that list obsession.
/grinz/

Bill

I like it! its simple keeps the hive as one gives you plenty of options for making increase or not, all you need extra is a brood box. Switching the frames isn’t a bother as you are checking them anyways as part of the inspection

That’s what I have done. Just the frames are full with stores! Just needed some reassurance that they would make room fur her to lay.

That habit is possible, but it adds swarming fever.

Extract the honey and cells are free to lay. Or put enough empty combs.

To put bees empty the cells, it makes no sense. I put them to do this, if stores are crystallized.

The I swap brood boxes, idea is to consume frames evenly and to put Winter stores into circulation.

When winter and spring is over, every hive has old stores. Otherwise they starve to death. IT cannot be so that now old stores are finish today and tomorrow they gather new surplus.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back