Dead Fridge? More like Honey warmer to be!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGPebble

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Our fridge died recently, it had a good run of 12 years though, so it's not so bad. After begging my dad not to throw it out (I'm 24) it has found it's second life as a honey warmer.

I don't have any before pics, as I was quite enthusiastic to rip out all the gubbinz and the compressor, it whipped out easily enough with a hammer and a pair of snippers, (Yes, I did check what gasses where in this specific model of fridge, I don't want to harm the ozone layer) leaving me with a lovely fresh carcass to work with.

uTR44.jpg

nUoSI.jpg

Progress so far

I'm using a Lucky Reptile Thermocontrol II thermostat, this comes with two plugs that can be set individually, socket 1 is controlled by the heating circuit so the light bumb goes in there, socket 2 controls a fan on a timer, so I found a spare 7.4v DC transformer and hooked it up to an old PC fan to get a bit of circulation inside.

still to do:
Get a light fixing and wire it up at the bottom, where the veg bin would be, I'm going to put a plank over that with a bit of tin foil on and some tin foil over the bottom to bounce the heat back up and make sure there's no hot spots.

The only REAL problem is I have no honey to heat. :nopity:

Oh well, at least it will be ready for next year.

Incandescent bulbs are rapidly being phased out so you will need to stock up for the future. Maybe consider that instead of using a light fitting (whereby the light bulb gets very hot and represents a fire risk) use a tubular heater. These are readily available. A 60 watt tubular heater gives off more or less the same amount of heat as a 60 watt incandescent bulb but because the heat is evenly distributed from all over the surface it doesn't get to such a dangerously high temperature.

Apart from the burning risk there is also risk of electrocution - with unsuitable connections and liquids around/over. Get a safe heat source and wire it properly with water excluding connections is my advice. Be safe. That transformer on the top likely produces a quarter of the power needed to liquify the honey. Probably better installing it (safely) inside the warmer!

A reptile heat stat likely has a range more fitting to brewing/fermenting than liquifying honey.

Edit : I see that one goes up to 50C, so OK for the job in hand.

Last edited:
Incandescent bulbs are rapidly being phased out so you will need to stock up for the future. Maybe consider that instead of using a light fitting (whereby the light bulb gets very hot and represents a fire risk) use a tubular heater. These are readily available. A 60 watt tubular heater gives off more or less the same amount of heat as a 60 watt incandescent bulb but because the heat is evenly distributed from all over the surface it doesn't get to such a dangerously high temperature.

Tubular heaters are usually rated at 60watts per foot(old money)
The only connections I see are low voltage ,save the 3 core cable which hasn't been connected yet .
VM

I got the bulb connected and the thermostat set up, I'm using a 40 watt bulb that heats it up to around 40*c in 2 hours, the thermostat automatically knocks it off once it hits the desired temperature so no risk of fire and no risk of electrocution as all the (high voltage) connections are suitable and insulated (plus its not going to have water or open containers in).

I also lined the bottom of the fridge with foil, to prevent any possible scorching and placed a piece of wood covered with foil over the bulb to prevent any hot spots so the honey gets warmed evenly.

More photos, sorry for the bloom, it gets so dark so early.

dT3OA.jpg

Mine is simple . One defunct fridge, one bulb holder screwed to base of fridge , 40 watt bulb .No stat, no fan . Plain, simple and effective , softens honey in around 24 hours , if not then I leave half a day longer !
VM

Latest posts

Back