Difficulties straining honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the feeder hole? I think I follow what you're saying though. Seems like quite an effective idea.

Ok this is a long standing problem and I suppose I should write a piece but why bother when a video is so much more effective.

I am going to take a huge risk and suppose that people will use some common sense if they go this route and not rip their limbs off by being careless.

The drum is lined with a coarse mesh and the filter is 200 micron. The mush is warmed over night in my honey warmer and there is a temperature probe in the bucket to cross check the temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XehRwof480

PH

Ok this is a long standing problem and I suppose I should write a piece but why bother when a video is so much more effective.

I am going to take a huge risk and suppose that people will use some common sense if they go this route and not rip their limbs off by being careless.

PH

Wow ... that does the job.. if you can still lay your hands on a real spin drier ! Mind you, the health & Safety cotton wool wrapping team will be along shortly to rain on your parade ! However, even if you only used the extracted honey for personal use of for feeding back to the bees at least it's not wasted honey. Definitely on my 'like to do' list.

PS: There's stacks of them on ebay from about a tenner !!! Who would believe it ... mind you, now the secrets out the price of these museum pieces will rocket...

Last edited:

The drum is lined with a coarse mesh and the filter is 200 micron. The mush is warmed over night in my honey warmer and there is a temperature probe in the bucket to cross check the temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XehRwof480

PH
Is it possible to extract frames in such a contraption.? .

The difficulty would be getting them balanced in the drum ... my mum used to use a spin drier like this on wash days and if the clothes got on one side of the drum the whole machine used to run around the kitchen ! As well, with 2800 rpm you would be throwing the comb out of the frames as well as any honey ..

In short...no. I had something very similar years ago but only used it for cappings.

P.S. Mine had all the same safety features as PH, except for R.C.D device.

Frames are a total no no.

It works for me as I go for comb honey so the off cuts go through it very well.

I sold 300 cuts of Lime honey in 15. ;)

Not a new Idea and not a new spinner either I got mine from BM and he had it goodness knows how long.

Pon a time it was promoted for Heather honey as in Ling not bell. Worked a treat too but... if y9ou didn't tie the filter bag well it could get enormously messy... hot wax thrown at 2.8k revs across the kitchen ceiling='s DIVORCE!

PH

Do think about it. Different diameter, but 2800rpm rather than 280rpm! I can understand, now, how you think the internet works :: spoon feed::

I think the frames may snag the liner. Don't you? Or how many were you thinking of squeezing in?

Actually I object to the "Contraption " word.

It works and works well. Efficient system is better me thinks.... Free spinner, say £10 for filters, and £34 for warmer... bloody cheap.

Oh yes... LOL Elf and crap... Went to my local business who whole sale fridges and deep freezes, we are talking mega square yds of warehouse here as they supply most of the UK sellers... "Please can I have one of your scrap units to bodge into a honey warmer"

"NO. You might contaminate the universe" EH?????????????????????

So out of the £34, £20 went on a bribe to the local scrappie... Result with in 2 days.

PH

PH

The difficulty would be getting them balanced in the drum ... my mum used to use a spin drier like this on wash days and if the clothes got on one side of the drum the whole machine used to run around the kitchen ! As well, with 2800 rpm you would be throwing the comb out of the frames as well as any honey ..
My Mumsy had one when we where kid's and also a mangle which i decided to push my toy's thorough with my finger one day, bad idea i ended up with a flat finger that needed putting back together and to top it of the owld tetanus shot in my arse, the good old days . :D

Not easy to extract honey using a mangle either, not unless it's Ling!

Reminded me. Went to a roup at Aboyne and the beekeeper had made from a Singer sewing machine a needler for loosing Ling, and it worked well!

Most straining issues can be solved by warmth. Investing in a honey warmer is a very good idea.

PH

Last edited:
Back