Dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wanted to ask as my first winter after a very successful spring/sumer. I am finding lots of dead bees around my garden. Quite a few outside the hive entrance and a few on fences and the shed etc. Seems they died whike in possition. They have been flying quite a lot even when quite cold.
Just wondered if this is all normal behavior

Bees die all the time - in quite high numbers - we just notice them more in the winter because the greenery is less exuberant...No need to worry, it is just their life cycle...

Thank you. Yes I realised lots will die but seems all of a sudden and wondered why all the activity still when so cold. Well fingers crossed I get them through ok and will try not to worry so much

Assuming you will be treating with oxalic late Dec/early Jan (if the weather has had a decent cold spell) try removing the entrance block and clearing out area above the mesh floor so as to ensure that the entrance is not blocked by dead bees, before putting the entrance block back. Loads of dead 'uns this time of year is quite normal.

Just wanted to ask as my first winter after a very successful spring/sumer. I am finding lots of dead bees around my garden. Quite a few outside the hive entrance and a few on fences and the shed etc. Seems they died whike in possition. They have been flying quite a lot even when quite cold.
Just wondered if this is all normal behavior

It sounds like a lot to me. What colour are they?

Do you have mouse guards on? Disturbance in the hive might be causing problems, mine don't fly unless it is warmer than 10 degrees.
Just a thought
E

Enrico - mine fly on sunny days in mid-winter if there is snow on the ground at any air temperature. A few always come zooming out and paralyse the minute they land back as the body heat goes....I now prop a board against the front of the hive to stop the glare at the entrance.
richard

Interesting. I was going to post a similar thread.

My question was more to do with a colony that I re-homed about a month ago from a neighbours compost bin - some may recall. The NUC is now in my garden and I have seen a fair amount of activity. I still have no idea if I collected the queen in the process as it was too chaotic and I am seeing quite a lot of bees on the table in front of the hive entrance. I have been concerned that this is a sign of the colony failing (my other hives are further afield so I tend not to check on them daily) but I don't suppose I will know until I either do the oxalic acid or in the spring...

Back