Dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
read it on bee-l a while ago and it seems a weak solution of ordinary bleach ( Sodium hydroxide + Sodium hyperchlorite, with no perfume or surfactants ) kills almost all nosema spores. If I remember rightly there was some question about "encapsulated" spores being protected from the bleach but there's certainly no residue issues with normal bleach. I couldnt find any UK info on this, so "user beware !", it might only work on the other side of the Atlantic.

The perspective on this should be what risks are involved ?

and

despite the risks of lingering disease in old combs

Says it all really. If you want to risk it just ignore the fumigation. I prefer to err on the safe side.

BTW, I would hope you cleaned that second hand house before you moved in. I was was even suggesting building from scratch - just removing any possible pathogens. Just wish people who use analogies would actually make them a little more analogous!

nosema is another question

It's a disease pathogen, n'est pas? Fumigation removes the risk? Read my post

Here is one of the bits you ignored, even though you quoted my post:

The bees deserve better than giving them potentially disease-ridden comb - especially when it is so easy and cheap too fumigate it

spraying with bleach?? just a watered down solution and spray and let it dry? is that all i have to do??
how much do i need to water down the bleach or does it matter?
thanks Darren

There is a FERA leaflet "Hive Cleaning and Sterilisation" which mentions the use of bleach to disinfect brood boxes and supers. You need a 0.5% solution of hypochlorite - normal bleach is supposed to be around 3%, so dilute 1 part bleach + 5 parts water. The leaflet does not mention using bleach for frames - but you would need to totally immerse them for 20 mins e.g. in a 25l bucket and shake / rinse thoroughly afterwards.

Last edited:
ZHG - exactly the same with one of my colonies - all dead, lots of stores and fondant left, not many bees ....fortunately, my other 2 colonies are ok for now.

Many thanks for all your comments and advice I've picked up on sterilizing. I have ordered 2 colonies with last years queens. Two new hives ready and possibly repopulating the failed hives later in the year.
Again many thanks

All I see is a bunch of bees that starved

No. What you see is a bunch of dead bees. You dont know why they died.

Bleach.

Peroxide does much the same job as bleach but doesnt smell as strong. Hospitals went back to using it many years ago for cleaning cuts.

Latest posts

Back