Can you identify these bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
There seems to be a bee hive in my shed, I'm not totally sure if this is the right place to post this. I was going to post in off-topic but it said no discussion of bees in there. So here I am, here's the pictures I managed to take. They're not great as I can't get one to stay still long enough to take a snap of and don't have the required equipment to handle one.

I do all my work in the shed and I can definitely hear them through the walls, I've only seen a few flying in and out though and I'm not certain how many there are. The noises continue day and night, no matter the time, so I don't know whether they are nocturnal or diurnal; they're just completely restless.

I can only describe them as white tailed, about 1-1.5cm long, a little "chubby", black and yellow stripes.
They appear to have 2 wings.

bee2.jpg

bee1.jpg

I apologise if this isn't the correct place to post this, or if this forum even accepts these kind of posts. But thanks for taking the time to read.

Had one a couple of years ago in the garage - about the size of a small melon (about 400 bees) gone by end of autumn. They don’t use it again the following year. Very docile.

Thanks for the reply, approximately how big will their hive get? And is it likely to span inside of the shed?

No probably the size of a softball. As you can clearly identify the Bumblebee in question, Google is your friend. :facts:

Agree with Swarm, likely tree bees. That means they may not be quite as docile as our indigenous bumbles!

Oh I had a tree bumblebee nest in my outhouse a few years ago. They were no trouble and I was delighted they were there :)

In the summer the males will hover round the outside of the nest.they will be no problem. By autumn they will be gone and you can clean them out. Often find them in bird boxes
E

Back