Darwin Awards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

Learnt a lesson yesterday.

I drove over to one of my apiary's yesterday. Got out the car and started putting the smoker together.
Added some paper to the smoker, dipped in my top pocket pulled out one of my lighters, lit the paper, then popped it back in my top pocket.

Puffed the smoker so the paper was well caught. Added the cardboard... a few more puffs. Added the dried wood... a few my puffs. Suddenly there was a big flash.
It made me jump, and thought "what the hell was that". looked in the smoker and was very well lit.
Suddenly I had a hot sensation. Looked down below my veil and realised I was on fire. Frantically I put the fire out.
I believe where I shoved the lighter in my pocket, it was still releasing butane and the flash was the gas catching alight. By the time I noticed, my pocket and the plastic in my pocket (marking pens, normal pens etc) had caught fire which burnt a hole in my suit. Fortunately, these bees are a grumpy lot so wore a jumper beneath the suit which with the plastic had melted itself to the bee suit.
I shudder to think what would have happed if the veil had gone up.

On a previous time, I had a lighter in the car. Where it was sat in the sun, it exploded in the centre console next to me.

Whilst it is sunny, we should all be careful playing with fire, especially as the grass starts to dry out...

Cheers
Pete

That's was lucky. Glad to hear your ok,

Didn't someone burn their car last year leaving a smoker in the back?

Glad you are OK. We all do things like this but do not often admit to it.

Didn't someone burn their car last year leaving a smoker in the back?

Yes he did
He is not too keen to be reminded of the incident
Grumpy enough as he is!

Top tip from our bee inspector when I started - get a weed burner with a click lighter built in - they had them in Aldi for about £12 a few weeks ago. Saves messing with ciggy lighters and means you can light the smoker at arms length. I was also told I'd fail the basic exam if I lit the smoker with the veil on too!

Glad your ok, Yep I always light my smoker as soon as I get out of my van then suit up, matches are a good fire lighter and you can always use them for beekeeping................ testing for AFB, you thought you had me then :sifone:

but do not often admit to it.

Luckily most of us don't need to admit it often!

It was Winker's car last year! Doesn't time fly! And, no, I didn't leave a smoker in the back!

Mischievous ghosts - remember?

Last edited:
but do not often admit to it.

Luckily most of us don't need to admit it often!

It was Winker's car last year! Doesn't time fly! And, no, I didn't leave a smoker in the back!

Mischievous ghosts - remember?

I can't match either of these confessions but I used to ride a motorbike and smoke a pipe ... went out to a party one night wearing a new sports jacket (older members will remember those sartorially splendent bits of attire - some of us may still have them !).. walked down road smoking pipe, put pipe out, put it in top pocket of aforesaid sports jacket (like you did !) got on motorbike and halfway to party felt burning sensation in chest .... it was a BURNING sensation .... wind had fanned pipe back to life and I was on fire ... picture, middle of Doncaster, Saturday night, smart young man on elderly motorbike stripping off and beating at his chest .... you need a bit of imagination !

I can't match either of these confessions but I used to ride a motorbike and smoke a pipe ... went out to a party one night wearing a new sports jacket (older members will remember those sartorially splendent bits of attire - some of us may still have them !).. walked down road smoking pipe, put pipe out, put it in top pocket of aforesaid sports jacket (like you did !) got on motorbike and halfway to party felt burning sensation in chest .... it was a BURNING sensation .... wind had fanned pipe back to life and I was on fire ... picture, middle of Doncaster, Saturday night, smart young man on elderly motorbike stripping off and beating at his chest .... you need a bit of imagination !

Did the onlookers regard it as a mating ritual designed to attract a female? From my days at Waterdale college I recall some pretty strange people in Donny.

Now that's where camera phones and twitter would have been useful!

Did the onlookers regard it as a mating ritual designed to attract a female? From my days at Waterdale college I recall some pretty strange people in Donny.

If it had been Mexborough (where I come from) then it would probably have been viewed as normal behaviour ... Sunny Donny was a bit upmarket and Sprotborough, where I was going to, definitely top drawer and if it had happened there I would probably have been arrested.

To be honest, at the time, I had bigger matters on my hands than worrying about onlookers !! My prime concern was the new sports jacket that was in flames ... and the shirt underneath .... I was saved only from permanent scarring by my string vest !

String vest? Hello Onslow..

Onslow just resurrected the height of fashion of the 1960's ... you youngsters won't remember the 1960's ... mind you - not many of us who were actually there do either !!

Thanks for calling me young.

I'll collect my giro with a smile. :icon_204-2:

I did hear a big bang the other day but thought 'twas the Army boys playing on the plain.

Good to hear you survived the blast though!

Oh dear ... both me and MDF afflicted with age related memory loss ....now, what did I go upstairs for ?

Speak for yourself Fred, there's nothing wrong with my memory.

Back