Damn Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three boxes of bees. The two that are related are significantly smaller and darker than the other. I never really thought about the difference in size.

hi i`m living in Co Leitrim and the wasps are very bad this year. From Cork originally

I don't know if I am too late to say this but I thought the rule was to move them 3ft or three miles ,not one

just to say sorry about the wasp attack. I lost 3 small colonys in the last two weeks to them. I have a huge problem, no kidding yesterday I wiped out at least 1000 while checking over the hives, topping up the traps etc.. Most now I am pleased to say are keeping outside the hives. The trouble I have now, wait for it, is Wax moth lava in the empty nucs! So not even got the drawn comb to use next season.

Small colonys are at huge risk of wasps!

Next year I am considering moving them in July to (hopefully) reduce the risk.

Regards, Dave

buzz lightyear,

You could have sprayed your spare empty frames with Certan. Not cheap, but cheaper than the costs associated with cleaning frames, new foundation, equivalent honey costs (to draw comb) and the time needed, etc, not to mention your inconvenience. BTDT a long time ago. Soon learned the value of vigilance where empty comb is concerned.

I used sulphur strips (like they were going out of fashion!) in my stack of super frames last winter - but think the cold weather was my best friend. Acetic acid is another possible fumigant that needs regular use to avoid any damage. The freezer, if space is available, is another option for just a few frames or on a rotational basis.

Both sullphur dioxide and acetic fume are nasty substances, which need the safety precautions to be followed carefully, if you are not compliant with the use of chemicals.

Moving your colonies may not have the desired effect; the line above (in your post) is the most important factor, in my opinion.

I develop my smaller colonies earlier and any late splits are always undertaken knowing/expecting that both halves are big enough and strong enough to resist the wasps, and with the acceptance that re-uniting is a fairly automatic option should either be seriously threatened.

I would now rarely try to fight wasp attacks, beyond the normal steps to avoid it in the first place. New beeks, with single colonies, can have a much harder time.

Regards, RAB

I've found a new hobby, counting wasps in my traps! I don't like killing things that I can't eat, but have had to draw a line (can't find a recipie for wasps... and no I don't want any either thanks). Not sure if the wasp trap by each hive is attracting more or just helping to reduce numbers, but it feels like I'm doing something to help the bees until i find the nest. I punch a hole in the top of a jam jar lid with a srewdriver and half fill with water/jam mix; cheap effective trap.

The only good wasp is a dead one. Well done for killing them. Did you hear somone from a charity called Buglife this morning launching this campaign that was aimed at encouraging people to waft rather than swat wasps......i have been feeling cross about it today... I wanted to shout at the radio....wasps are evil!!!

Wasps have an important place in the environment. They are one of the scavengers of the insect world, and likely do a very god job which most people ignore, don't know about or don't want to know about.

Early on, in my beekeping, I had trouble with wasps. Rarely now. They are a nuisance - yes - and I am more likely get stung by a wasp in my garden than a bee at this time of the year.

Last time I had any great trouble, as I remember, was an artificial swarm (well, a late engineered split) in the back-end the Dartington in 2007. No argument, just aborted the attempt. Simples. End of problem.

Regards, RAB

I agree everything has it's place, however human race has upset most balances in nature, unfortunatly we now have to manage certain circumastances to even the chances for nature that is strugling.

Wasp cake makes great chub bait free lined under the trees on a warm Septemebr evening.

Regards

Rick

(2 x 90's & a III series ha ha!)

That was one up-side of cymag. Killed all the returning workers very efficiently. Digging out the nest, for fishing, was a well sought-after occupation by a few.

Regards, RAB

Yep, Powder the wasps with icing sugar, flour, or similar and watch which direction they fly off. Much easier to see them flying into the distance...

Last time I did that they went off in one of three different directions!!

I'm in town so not such a useful tool. If in the country, bait 50m-100m down the direction and do it again, or off to the side and triangulate for a rough area.

Never really got seriously into tracking down wasps nests but that may help.... Good luck.

I suppose it helps to know whether these are ground-nesting or aerial nesters. Not into wasps to know that either.

Regards, RAB

Hi RAB, for what its worth I think they are the German ones. Anyone know if the nest in the ground or what? Cheers

Found one nest a least! Its underground, any advice what to finish them of with?

Thanks, Dave

I use 'wasp and ant' powder or some such labelled puffer bottle. Liberal dusting into the entrance is eventually effective after they transfer the powder to the nest.

For the aerial variety, I have found the 'from a distance' foam cans effective.

Local hardware stores or horticultural places should have a choice of wasp killing systems.

Regards, RAB

The best advice I've had about control of wasps was posted here by Victor Meldrew.

Make a tunnel from mesh, I used Varroa mesh, folded to make a long tunnel and have only one end open and clip it over the entrance.

Make the entrance hole in the end of the mesh 2 bee spaces.

Working well for a friend of mine who was suffering a plague of the damn things, and its working for me so far,

Cheers Victor.:hurray:

There is a nest in the roof of the bike sheds ( no innuendos please lol ;) ) one part of the wooden roof has fallen a bit leaving a nice gap to a well sheltered home for the nasty little theiving rotten ugly little things :cuss: How would you deal with them? They seem to be going in and out of the corner part where it has fell, but there are two sides of a square to get in, if you know what I mean. I informed the head last week, the kids go back this Monday. I am saying nothing about that subject ( zipped lips ) I know it has to be down to the school to do it, but humour me.

Ah, idea, I might suggest they let my eager helper do it :reddevil:, (not really lol)

Latest posts

Back