Dad's Army Feature Film Announced

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silex

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Dad's Army feature film announced, Bill Nighy to star as Sergeant Wilson.

Er.... no. Totally no. Sorry but the original cast are simply too iconic to ever be replaced, however good Bill Nighy and co are!

Dad's Army feature film announced, Bill Nighy to star as Sergeant Wilson.

Er.... no. Totally no. Sorry but the original cast are simply too iconic to ever be replaced, however good Bill Nighy and co are!

There's a list somewhere on the internet of films that have been remade that should never have been remade .... can't find it at present ... there was a feature film of Dad's Army with the original cast ... It was a classic that could never be repeated ... and should not be !

I'll be surprised if Jimmy Perry (sadly David Croft died a few years ago) would sanction it ...

According to an item on the radio y'day Jimmy Perry is co-producing it.

Well... from this it seems that he's just agreed to the film rights and is letting them get on with it ... Pity - hope it works but the proposed writer is more famed for his slapstick comedy - whereas Croft & Perry were of a much more subtle ilk. I'd like to be more positive but ...

We shall see ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27178025

The writer credits quoted may not be the most appropriate. He co-wrote "The Play Wot I Wrote" with Sean Foley and Eddie Braben, probably one of the first Morecombe and Wise tributes which was quite good as I recall, relatively sophisticated and well beyond simple impersonations.

However, I'll readily agree a remake of Dad's Army is far from needed. It was of it's time, the first episodes only 20 some years after the events, a significant memory for most of the audience. Sadly part of the timidity of production these days. Novel drama (and comedy) isn't going to get made, it's remakes, costume adaptations already done to death and the tired formulas of cops, doctors and soaps.

My favourite bugbear - all right, major irritant - is tv piggy-backing on a major canon of work, such as Sherlock Holmes.

We are going to raise generations of kids who don't know of, or recognise, the true body of work done by Arthur Conan Doyle.

It's lazy, deceitful and cynical to take an established, classical work and use it to bolster ratings.
If this were done with goods, it would be called, "passing off" and a common law tort.

Why not just create a new character?

Dusty

My favourite bugbear - all right, major irritant - is tv piggy-backing on a major canon of work, such as Sherlock Holmes.

We are going to raise generations of kids who don't know of, or recognise, the true body of work done by Arthur Conan Doyle.

It's lazy, deceitful and cynical to take an established, classical work and use it to bolster ratings.
If this were done with goods, it would be called, "passing off" and a common law tort.

Why not just create a new character?

Dusty

:iagree:

Dad's Army is a timeless classic, just as fresh now as the day it was first shown. It doesn't need a modernised version.
It must be great for people like VM and Dusty who clearly remember those days............ when L/Cpl Jones fought for queen and country.

Latest posts

Back