D*** Wasps!!! Which is the best bait?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycadman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had a bit of a problem with wasps in the single hive that is starting up my out Apiary - just 300 yards away from my house. The four hives in my garden do not seem to have a serious wasp problem.

The hive in the out apiary was relentlessly being attacked by wasps, with the odd one or two getting in. Narrowed the entrance right down to less than an inch last Friday and then they were coping comfortably. Went back today and would you believe the wasps had burrowed through a knot in the side! I have now sealed it up and the bees as before are coping well at the narrowed main entrance.

I have put down wasp traps with beer in. They do not seem to be taking too much notice. Hopefully now the hole is sealed up they will change their minds. So my question is, what is the very best bait for the traps.

Dead wasps! - if you make a conventional "wasp trap" baited with jam or similar it'll have a small attraction for them, but once there are a few dead ones in it that are getting a bit niffy as they putrefy, the wasps fall over themselves to get in..........

find the nest of the ones that are doing the damage and deal with it.

wasps fly home in straight lines. follow the straight flying ones and you will find the nest.

Many thanks - Very useful link.

The problem is the hive in question is near to a railway track were, I am uable to venture in pursuit of nests!

Here is what i got after 3 weeks, i replaced these last week and took the photo. The second from the left had to be seen to be believed, that they were so stupid to keep on going in when you could see so many of their dead mates in there.

original.jpg

mine look like that too, absolutely full was standing down our lane this week and found a nest hanging in a tree just above my head, thats the 5th nest this year,,

Back