cut comb storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
I have a reasonable amount of cut comb frames this year. Normally I store the combs intact and cut as needed, but I've seen granulation on storage and the bit of wax moth damage. I've heard people discussing cutting, packaging and storing in a freezer until needed. Any drawbacks with this approach from anyone who uses this? just wondering about any issues with condensation in the cut comb containers or other drawbacks? Thanks

I have a reasonable amount of cut comb frames this year. Normally I store the combs intact and cut as needed, but I've seen granulation on storage and the bit of wax moth damage. I've heard people discussing cutting, packaging and storing in a freezer until needed. Any drawbacks with this approach from anyone who uses this? just wondering about any issues with condensation in the cut comb containers or other drawbacks? Thanks
I put my cut comb in the Thornes HC boxes with the seal in place and then put them into Ikea zip lock bags in 4’s in the freezer. I’ve never had problems with granulation or condensation yet.

I always drain mine. I've seen cut comb for sale at farmers market undrained and partly crystallised and it looks awful.
Packed in Thorne boxes then in the freezer in a large clip top box. No condensation when thawing

Whole supers in the freezer & then frames pulled out as & when to be dealt with

Thanks for the replies. Moving to a new unit in the autumn so will have space for a chest freezer and have grand designs on a dedicated extraction room ;)

Just be wary of frost
Damage which can a cure we’ve started wrapping our 200g plastic trays in silver foil for this reason

I would àdd just be aware that if you store whole frames for cutting you have to be extremely careful, they crack easily, don't know why, but they do.
I've just two boxes left to cut from a stack of twenty Last years frames that have been a real PITA this week.

Latest posts

Back