Cut comb packaging & freezing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onge

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Hi all

Just done a bit of cut comb (first time)

Do I need to freeze the comb once in the packaging?

If so is 24 hours enough.

Thank you.

Now ill get on and do some extracting :)

i think its ment to stay there.
What type of honey is it? If its osr then cut comb isn't a great idea as it granulates solid as a rock.

Buzz

Yes you should freeze. 24 - 36 hours will kill any wax moth or Braula coeca eggs.

Thaw gradually, put in the top of the fridge and keep in the packaging as you don't want condensation on the comb as it thaws.

Did you use extra thin foundation?

Thanks huntsman666

So when there thawed and out of the fridge I can just store them anywhere?

I used foundation less frames with a comb guide panted with wax.

Yes, store them as you would any other honey.

As the other poster correctly said, oil seed rape honey is not suitable for comb or cut comb.

Thanks again. :D

No its not OSR.

If you are using the square cut comb frames that have their own foundation BEWARE there is a right and a wrong way to put the foundation in. The cells have a flat side and a pointed side....make sure you have them the right way up (Hope you learn by my mistake!)
E

Enrico, he was talking about cut comb not comb honey.

Yes you are correct about comb foundation in that the hex point should point up.

I have put in unwired foundation this year for cut comb which I would like to put in the jars with the honey. Should I freeze this before I add it to the honey jars? thanks

This is called 'chunk honey' and it looks very nice.

Again, best to use unwired but extra thin foundation.

No harm freezing for 24 - 36 hours but as the cappings will be submerged in honey, I think this alone would kill off any pest problems in the wax cappings.

Chunks should be 'chunky' about one inch by one and a half inches.

Best to use heat-treated honey to fill, otherwise granulation will take place.

Hold the chunks up to a strong light to make sure no cells contain pollen.

Last edited:
I have put in unwired foundation this year for cut comb which I would like to put in the jars with the honey. Should I freeze this before I add it to the honey jars? thanks

chunk honey is normaly the by product of Cut comb...the left over parts!

Enrico, he was talking about cut comb not comb honey.

Ok .. now I am confused... what is the difference. I would guess that cut comb is just cut out of a frame while comb honey is produced in squares....am I right? always willing to learn!

Back