Cut comb frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, there are two different aspects to your question that need answering.

Firstly "cut comb" isn't what you are after (but maybe it should be).
For that you don't *need* special frames - though Manleys are often preferred.
You should use unwired foundation, or else use just a starter strip rather than a sheet of foundation.
You can buy neat plastic tubs that take an approx 8oz cut piece.
And a cutter that will cut pieces to fit the pack.
But you don't actually need anything unusual.

And the bees don't usually mind co-operating.

However, what you want to do are called "sections" - not "cut comb".
Little box sections that the comb is left in (not cut) until consumed.
They are a pain.
Bees generally don't like using them.
And the sections, and the special 'super' ("section rack") to carry them, aren't cheap.
Supposedly, the bees find round ones nicer (and easier for them to work) than the square ones.
Check major bee equipment suppliers, like T's and Maisie's for "sections" and "section racks".

/ADDED - you can also get "hanging section frames" and "dividers" to try and make a few sections in an ordinary super. I gather the bees would still prefer to ignore them ...

Anyway, think carefully whether "cut comb" (real cut comb) might not be a very much better idea to try than the "sections" you have in mind.

Last edited:
Hey guys, that's great thanks, what I'm after is the frames that are in the thornes company you directed me to that fit in a national super and hold the sections. I don't want a whole super full of section frames maybe just 3 or 4 frames with 3 sections in each.

"Anyway, think carefully whether "cut comb" (real cut comb) might not be a very much better idea to try than the "sections" you have in mind."

I think I may try both, I like the neatness of the sections but I understand your comments and will keep it in mind.

cut comb

i tried this last year i put unwired foundation in sn1 frames and used a cutting press which cut into 8oz size shapes to go into little tubes to be sold worked out great i sold it for £4 went down with the older people

Whatever you do put the square foundation in the right way round! Points of the hexagons upwards, otherwise they won't touch it! Easy mistake to make, it was or m anyway !

Whatever you do put the square foundation in the right way round! Points of the hexagons upwards, otherwise they won't touch it! Easy mistake to make, it was or m anyway !

:eek::eek:
Now I am confused...... Don't hexagons have 3 opposing pairs of "points"....
If one point is up isn't it's opposite twin down?

:scratches head:
6 sides, 6 corners....

6 sides, 6 corners....

Unconfuse yourself.

Get a sheet of foundation.
Examine it "the right way round" - easy because it is rectangular.
Now turn it a quarter turn, so a short side is on top.

With a square 'section' foundation, the difference does matter! (And its easy to get wrong...)

I sometimes fit starter strips into my frames the wrong way round this is out of convenience and also to stop the bees being influenced by the preprinted comb.
I have not tried sections but would like to try them in the future and have been told the best way is to slip a couple into the supers along with regular frames when a good flow is on, this way you are reasonably guaranteed fully capped sections and for me as with all natural comb honey no recycled foundation to be eaten.

6 sides, 6 corners....

You'd think so wouldn't you! Hence the reason I am warning you cos it ain't!
Thanks itma and RAB

Unconfuse yourself.

Get a sheet of foundation.
Examine it "the right way round" - easy because it is rectangular.
Now turn it a quarter turn, so a short side is on top.

With a square 'section' foundation, the difference does matter! (And its easy to get wrong...)

You'd think so wouldn't you! Hence the reason I am warning you cos it ain't!

Ahhh Got it!! Thanks. Points up (& down) not the flat sides.....

I only use rectangular full frames so they are always up & down....
That had always confused me when people said "wrong way up"....
cos they meant 90degrees not 180 degrees.....

(Although I still think I remember people talking about an angle up-down implying a 180 degree difference......)

Back