Cuprinol clear (again)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike101

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have comparison figures for the ingredients (contents and quantities) for the old "beesafe" green label tins and the new blue label tin?

Thanks

Not sure of exact details but in a post a while ago someone had made a direct comparison and conclusion was LESS of active ingredients in new formulation. So may not have been tested (hence won't claim for safety) but common sense would suggest less harmful.

Not sure of exact details but in a post a while ago someone had made a direct comparison and conclusion was LESS of active ingredients in new formulation. So may not have been tested (hence won't claim for safety) but common sense would suggest less harmful.

That is also how i understood the situation.

but just a thought, i treated my last hive with Rustins boiled linseed oil and a small amount of melted bee's wax (as suggested by forum member brosville)
Think i will stick to that :)

I too treat with linseed externally, and use Holkham Linseed paints after aplying the linseed oil as a base coat.

My green labelled tin says:
contains 3-iodo-2-propynyl-n-butyl carbamate 0.75% w/w (8.17g/l)propiconazole 0.24% w/w (1.97 g/l)
later it says 3-iodo-2-propynyl-n-butyl carbamate is a carbamate compound which has weak anticholinesterase activity
I cannot say it means much to me at all but if someone can see a new container and give teh ingredients of that we may make some comparison?
Would it make sense to look out for any places still stocking the older version? I think my local hardware store still has tehse green ones as I bought this comparatively recently.
Tricia
PS I am sure it is carbamate rather than carbonate (which at least I would have heard of)

Last edited:
Painted some nuc boxes with linseed/beeswax mix before the winter, seemed to have cured ok, but now all are mildewed on the outside....airy shed, plenty ventilation. NOW what have I done wrong....?

My green labelled tin says:
contains 3-iodo-2-propynyl-n-butyl carbamate 0.75% w/w (8.17g/l)propiconazole 0.24% w/w (1.97 g/l)
later it says 3-iodo-2-propynyl-n-butyl carbamate is a carbamate compound which has weak anticholinesterase activity
I cannot say it means much to me at all but if someone can see a new container and give teh ingredients of that we may make some comparison?
Would it make sense to look out for any places still stocking the older version? I think my local hardware store still has tehse green ones as I bought this comparatively recently.
Tricia
PS I am sure it is carbamate rather than carbonate (which at least I would have heard of)

see

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5459&highlight=cuprinol+blue

I tried to get some old stock of Cuprinol Red cedar from Homebase but it had all been withdrawn. They contacted Ronseal on the phone who suggested 5 year woodstain. I wanted it in writing and have been advised by e mail by Ronseal that their 5 year wood stain in perfectly safe for beehives and they also say that if the timber is rough you can use Ronseal Fencelife. Dulux on the other hand said they cannot recommend any of their products. I have advised my local EBKA and Beecraft who say they will be using this information.

From post #5 -"later it says 3-iodo-2-propynyl-n-butyl carbamate is a carbamate compound which has weak anticholinesterase activity"

anticholinesterase activity = insecticidal action as far as I know, but I have used green tin stuff without problem??!!

Last edited:
Back