Crown boards, wooden and poly hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I was just watching a 'Stewart from the Norfolk Honey Company' video and he was looking at winter bees by taking the top off and peering through the transparent, plastic cover. He said he wasn't going to look at the wooden hives because he didn't want to expose the bees by removing the crown board and letting the heat out...which brings me to my point.

Just because the hive is wooden, why, in general, do we use wooden crown boards rather than just use transparent covers. Surely using the latter we could have a look at the colonies in all weathers without disturbing the bees? Is it because the wooden hives have a larger area therefore the cover would drop onto the frames -- in which case thicker covers would solve that problem -- or is there some other reason for which I haven't accounted?

I made some crown boards with 2mm polycarbonate material I managed to purloin. These work well and dont seem to sag even with a kg of fondant over a hole drilled in the centre.
I would make more if I could pick up some cheap polycarbonate.
I do have to be careful cleaning as they do scratch easily.

It's a very good point. I only have Poly, and only one colony to transfer from a nuc to a national when (if) they grow big enough. I have "miller" feeders and they have a "window" (just like the hives Stewart has), I can see enough through that.

The full hives come with a sheet of plastic which sits down tight on the frames, I have already decided that if I went without a "miller feeder" I would "frame the plastic" with 9mm x 22mm wood, I imagine like the ones Steve is talking about above.

But, at the moment, I cannot see a good reason not to have a Miller on. The small perspex sheet will usually be the coldest place in the hive and so attract moisture. The bees have worked that out and I often see them up there using there surprisingly long tongues sucking up the droplets. Once during the winter there was "a lot" (big droplets) so I whipped the plastic off, shook them off and put it back.

The hives I have worked with normal boards (our association hives), I do think would benefit from "Transparent" crown boards. My only thought is that this would then be a large "cold interface" and could potentially settle more moisture out than the bees really want (it could dehumidify the hive"). Possibly.

I think my association gang would say "What is the point of a see through crown board when you are going to take it off straightaway", and they would be right :)

I also have quite a few standard crown boards with holes for Porter bee escapes which I used to cover with small sections of ply.
I now cover these with the offcuts of my polycarbonate sheet that I made the full crown boards with.
This allows me to see though the holes without disturbing the bees. During the cold weather I was able to remove the roof and see the bees just below the "window".

I use .75mm clear acrylic sheets on my wooden hives.
Having started out with polyhives, I simply never saw a reason not to. I make my roofs with 25-75mm celotex built in to them and have no condensation issues.
The wooden hives are even.less likely to have issues with condensation at the crown boards than the poly hives, since the walls are guaranteed to be the cold spot

Just because the hive is wooden, why, in general, do we use wooden crown boards rather than just use transparent covers

Never yet come across something transparent that I can use in a skip. All my CB, Roofs, OMF frames and varroa inspection floors originate from reclaimed wood.

I have made up some crown boards using polycarbonate about 2mm with a single bee space on one side and about 2.5 cm on the other
I am using them to feed fondant and pollen substitute at the moment.
There is a little condensation on the edges of some, but nothing to speak of

I was just watching a 'Stewart from the Norfolk Honey Company' video and he was looking at winter bees by taking the top off and peering through the transparent, plastic cover. He said he wasn't going to look at the wooden hives because he didn't want to expose the bees by removing the crown board and letting the heat out...which brings me to my point.

Just because the hive is wooden, why, in general, do we use wooden crown boards rather than just use transparent covers. Surely using the latter we could have a look at the colonies in all weathers without disturbing the bees? Is it because the wooden hives have a larger area therefore the cover would drop onto the frames -- in which case thicker covers would solve that problem -- or is there some other reason for which I haven't accounted?

ive spent some considerable time pondering this very question I watched the video too. When i first started beekeeping i had all my hives with wooden crown boards and nothing else above , no other insulation and they overwintered fine(or what i thought was fine at the time) with our Nicot bases open, (like the standard mesh floor)
As time had progressed ive changed, expanded to having just a plastic sheet with the insulation directly above. Looking at the changes ive made, i would say the reasons are three fold.
One is cost. The cost of a good quality crown board. i didn't have the initial capabilities to make many, and the cost of buying was high, so i jumped to using a plastic sheet!
two: You can asses the bees as many have found out and seen (as described above) without touching or actually disturbing the wintering cluster. we all love to poke, this satisfies our curiosity in the longest winter months.
three: For me, Stuart Spinks does what he does because he knows if he cracks that crown board, he will completely disturb the bees. Breaking that propolis seal between the two boards. He understands its not good practice when the resulting cluster takes a fair while to settle after being disturbed and it was well below freezing could be the tipping point for a small cluster.
I am not getting in to a deep conversation over thermodynamics of wood versus poly and all the relevant data that exists, there a lot of far more qualified people on this forum who know this better but i will say what ive found it that the poly sheet, Perspex or the cellotex, whatever you use makes things so much easier. You need to insulate above the sheet well. Good standard cheap insulation is best. Styrofoam, Polystyrene or Kingspan are excellent.
And You Dont get humidity collecting if your insulation is correct, why would you!!!!

One of the only downsides with plastic sheets are if you want to flip your crown boards over ( to give more room above the cluster, or for the cluster to move over the top of the frames easier after the flow finished in the autumn) in the late spring to give a feed or a pollen sub you cant. You have to use an eke. which in itself is easy enough but its more material. ( but still cheaper than buying a crown board)

https://youtu.be/PbOGFxfjL44
You only need to look at Mike Palmers overwintering cluster video to see good clusters moving under inverted crown boards to see what i am on about. Mike still has styrofoam above the inverted crown board. I am sure he will have more on this if you ask.

Last edited:
I use a transparent cover over the standard CB porter holes , allows you to look into the hive for a quick check regardless of weather .

Probably work quite well, and more use than a clear crown board.

As long as the bees don't realise they enjoy nibbling it! But it would aid removal of moisture whilst still avoiding the chimney effect of an open hole in the CB. Win / win for the matchstick aficionados :)

Latest posts

Back