What to do with old brood frames full of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.21

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi. At a new point in my bee keeping journey.

Now at the point 3 years into bee keeping where I am now rotating out the old frames. I have 10off 14x12 frames in the garage to dispose of but there is around 1kg to 1.5kg of honey I estimate on average per frame across all frames so at least 10kg of honey. These frames have all been in the brood box when treated with apivar so I can’t extract the honey.
I’ve a log burner and soup kettle which I use to render wax down so my thoughts were to cut the wax out (it’s wired foundation) and render down and use the frames as kindling but am not sure whether I can do this with all the honey in the frames as will end up with soup kettle full of honey mixed in with the water ?
I’m feeding the bees at the moment (7hives in the garden) so did think about bruising the cappings and putting a frame per hive above the crown board and let them take it down instead of feeding with sugar syrup but there is the risk of disease spreading.

Did a search and don’t seem to find answers are what people do with frames to dispose of with honey in so what are peoples thoughts ?
Jon

Hi. At a new point in my bee keeping journey.

Now at the point 3 years into bee keeping where I am now rotating out the old frames. I have 10off 14x12 frames in the garage to dispose of but there is around 1kg to 1.5kg of honey I estimate on average per frame across all frames so at least 10kg of honey. These frames have all been in the brood box when treated with apivar so I can’t extract the honey.
I’ve a log burner and soup kettle which I use to render wax down so my thoughts were to cut the wax out (it’s wired foundation) and render down and use the frames as kindling but am not sure whether I can do this with all the honey in the frames as will end up with soup kettle full of honey mixed in with the water ?
I’m feeding the bees at the moment (7hives in the garden) so did think about bruising the cappings and putting a frame per hive above the crown board and let them take it down instead of feeding with sugar syrup but there is the risk of disease spreading.

Did a search and don’t seem to find answers are what people do with frames to dispose of with honey in so what are peoples thoughts ?
Jon
If there has been no disease in the colonies then you would be fairly safe giving the comb back to the bees to clean out. You could cut the honey filled comb out and put it in a rapid feeder with the cone removed - they will clean it out very quickly but - beware - as soon as they have taken down the honey they will start remodelling the comb left in the feeder ! They can be very creative ...

Because that's what the BBKA seem to recommend !!

Good job they don't look at my hives - I've just rotated out some brood frames that had 2015 written on them .. I think they had got to the stage where the even the bees didn't want to use them as they were at the outer edges of the hive and there was nothing in them ... the bees had cleaned and polished them but they were pretty near black.

The comb went on the bonfire but the frames are going to get boiled and re-used (the Yorkshireman in me ...)

The general advice at my local club is to rotate out to mitigate against disease risk after a few years. To be honest it’s Pretty old dark comb (from the original hive I had) but the main reason is because they are national frames with drone brood on the bottom as used in 14x12 box and not in the best of shape as the comb is all over the place so am keen to get rid of them anyway.

Latest posts

Back