Crossing races = aggression

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear, what nonsense, a while back I bought an Argentine Buckfast queen in a nuc from a local supplier. The queen lasted 4 years. Maybe you need a beekeeping refresher course. If Italian queens can survive in Finland, what does that say?

So.........we should expect buckie queens to last four years?

It seems, that crossing bees make more aggressions between beekeepers than in bees.

You're not convinced.

I've had this and I've seen that are pretty much pointless unless you are claiming they are all the same. Generally speaking most do not or am I missing something? Are you telling me all your queens reach four years of age? Exceptions are simply that.

I've had this and I've seen that are pretty much pointless unless you are claiming they are all the same. Generally speaking most do not or am I missing something? Are you telling me all your queens reach four years of age? Exceptions are simply that.

Most reach three years. If they're doing well, why replace them.

There are at least two people here on the forum, holding conversations with each other while being the same person. Often an alter ego appears as a thread is waning in order to keep it going.
I wouldn’t bother Steve. I love all bees and have a fair few different ones. I don’t care who keeps what and I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Seems hardly worth arguing about.

Are you going to name the blighter? Either substantiate the allegation or withdraw it.

...The OP was obviously intended to start another stupid round of squabbling...

Hi mate,

I am sorry if you thought that my OP's (original Posting) purpose was to start an argument, it was NOT, sorry for shouting there (capital letters), I just wanted to make that Very Clear, please don't be offended :)

So, based on good reason (theory), a very basic understanding of genetics and a lack of solid evidence to the contrary, I would broadly conclude that the breeding of two bee strains (races) with dis-similar genetics does not result in aggressive offspring (but likely could result in Heterosis) - thank you to all the Members that have contributed to this Thread.

IF there is aggression in the offspring, then this is much more likely to be caused by an aggressive trait from one of the parents; in relation to bees, the traits of the Queen mother is relatively known, her daughter the Virgin Queen must (open) mate with multiple drones, and therefore any aggression in her offspring comes from one or more of these drones: The fact that a particular drone is genetically dis-similar is irrelevant to the aggression or non-aggression of the offspring.

Unless evidence or a better reasoned (theoretical) genetic explanation can be provided, I will (broadly speaking) take statements that I quoted in my OP with quite a big pinch of salt.

I am not trying to start an argument, I am genuinely trying to acquire knowledge about bee strains, their genetics and their (inter) breeding.

Again, Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it, even if it can be a bit ... emotional sometimes :chillpill:

Once I had a splended Elgon hive. IT was a big hive, brought well honey and it had a healthy brood patern. Over wintered well.

IT was a little bit evil, but I decided that evil is in drones. So if I use this hive as drone hive, evil mind will not inherit to the mated queens.

Well. Every single mated Queen was evil. So it was in the Queen's gemone, which was evil and not her mating partners, the drones.

Last edited:
There are at least two people here on the forum, holding conversations with each other while being the same person. Often an alter ego appears as a thread is waning in order to keep it going. .

Come along now Erichalfbee....are you going to keep us all dangling.
I have to confess to having 2 this one and the one in the mail following this. If I knew how to delete the flabellum account I would. But I can safely say I do not and never have had any arguments or debates with myself.
Hoppy is the one I have my money on.

Last edited:
Come along now Erichalfbee....are you going to keep us all dangling.
I have to confess to having 2 this one and the one in the mail following this. If I knew how to delete the flabellum account I would. But I can safely say I do not and never have had any arguments or debates with myself.
Hoppy is the one I have my money on.

My post wasn’t intended to make anybody dangle, don’t be silly. It was simply an observation.

My post wasn’t intended to make anybody dangle, don’t be silly. It was simply an observation.

Well, silly or not..... we are all dangling in anticipation of you revealing the aliases used by the doppelganger.....
A small hint perhaps???....is my guess of hoppy warm or cold? :)

I am concerned that someone might think that Hoppy and I are one and the same. I do feel that clarification is urgently needed.

Latest posts

Back