Creaming honey - how to do it at home?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artiom

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I want to create creamed honey at home all by myself. I'm not looking for huge amounts so getting the creaming machine is out of scope. I found hand creamers. The Internet says that you have to do the creaming for 15 minutes every day during a week to get a good result. Is it so? Has anyone tried that? Some people are using drills. Does it mean that doing it by hand is much harder?

What kind of honey do you usually use for creaming? Is there a difference?

Some recipes say that you have to add 1/10 of already creamed honey and then start creaming. Is there a difference whether I add the same sort of honey or a different one?

How often do I have to mix the honey and for how long? Is it 15 minutes a day or 15 minutes every 5-6 hours?

I've read a bit that some machines use heaters. Is it necessary if I do it by hand?

Is there a big difference between honey creamed by hand and by the professional grade machine?

Sorry for so many questions, I couldn't find a single source which would answer all these questions. If you know of any (book or Internet) I'd be very grateful.

Don't know how I missed that :-( Thank you very much for the link!

Don't know how I missed that

Probably under the misapprehension that it is called 'creamed'?

Has to be 'soft set' since the PC dairy farmers and the milk marketing lot got the 'cream' part removed.

Don't know how I missed that

Probably under the misapprehension that it is called 'creamed'?

Has to be 'soft set' since the PC dairy farmers and the milk marketing lot got the 'cream' part removed.

Also imo 'creamed honey' is a more American term for Soft set.

All I did with mine was let it set solid (took about 2 weeks), put the bucket in the sun to warm it, then stirred it with a paint stirrer on a drill about 4 times.
The paint stirrer broke so i made a corkscrew/pig tail type stirrer out of it.
Then jarred it.
It hasn't set again and people say it is nice. It's lost the grainy feeling on your tongue when tasting it.

Latest posts

Back