Crazy Bulls new honey shed thread!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CB have you ever tried Vactan? I love the stuff and recommend it.

I hadn't but just had a google and it looks clever stuff, i might get some for the other unit as it has alot more rust on it than the one i'm doing now.

Extractor? least of your worries ! keeping the temperatures within a metal box stable seems to me to be the biggest challenge??

John Wilkinson

Insulation 4" thick and a decent aircon unit, sorted.

Where Portacabin type units are used for accommodation in places like Ascension Island (military), The put duck boards down the side and a gabled roof over to make cosy and take the excesses of the weather - rain and sun and give the units underneath a longer lifespan, although I don't suppose you will have a life problem with steel. :)

"Insulation 4" thick and a decent aircon unit, sorted" - paint it white too (I jest not, it makes one helluva difference (you might be able to do without the aircon)!):)
One a hot sunny day, just plonk your hand on a white car/caravan, and you'll see what I mean!

better still painting it silver and fry eggs :)

White Roof - BUY LOCAL HONEY HERE on the roof - Free Google Earth advertising.

How long will it be before the likes of B&Q, TESCO, ASDA, WICKES etc. start thinking about using their flat roofs for advertising their presence to the heavens. No planning permission required - yet - I believe. Big roof = big presence.

Precision crops with fields of floral messages. The early adopters should make the news if not Google Earth who's schedule is likely to be less opportune or predictable.

I would love to be able to do that. :)

In days gone by factories had their name on the roofs.

Great idea and instant, I presume its not in the garden as round here they would want you to get planning permission first.
kev

Great idea and instant, I presume its not in the garden as round here they would want you to get planning permission first.
kev

Not in my garden, although i wish my garden could take a ridgid and drag hiab lorry in! haha, they are on a neighbouring farm. About 5 mins from home.

much smaller scale - I have claimed a wooden garage (14'x12') at my place- shelving in so I will set up my 8 apideas for a queen breeding area.

Will I be ok to have a small 1" diam pipe from each apidea bored through the outside wall as an exit for each little colony. If they have an alighting board on the outside - will she find the correct entrance back in when back from a mating flight- so many questions.....'life is a learning curve'

Will have a different patterned cd next to each exit hole to possibly help with i.d.

How long will it be before the likes of B&Q, TESCO, ASDA, WICKES etc. start thinking about using their flat roofs for advertising their presence to the heavens. No planning permission required - yet - I believe. Big roof = big presence.

B&Q already are!

Just look out the window of the plane when taking off or landing at Manchester Airport.

I will in 12 days time when we fly off to the Caribbean on our 2 week cruise:party::party::party:

Finally sat out in the garden today- coffee and a brandy elevenses- Spring has sprung. :cheers2: Bees all around me drinking from the mortar between the paving stones- despite the 4 sites I have given them of safe supplies.

To all beginners- they need a safe water supply as much as anything else at the mo. A tray with some twigs in is good - not too near the hive -they seem to prefer to travel to drink!

Right! Sorry for the delays in posting new pics and updates, but things have been manic,

Shed status now:

All rust cleaned, primed and ready for final coat, going to be green so they blend in with the background and aren't too obvious.

Leveled and secured in place.

Electrics wired into one of the units.

Now a question for the masses, i am planning to put a far ammount of worktop space in the unit and for cheapness and ease of cutting to fit and add bits to it i was thinking melamine kitchen worktops, with that in mind i can also use kitchen units for storage beneath them.

In my mind they would be more than surficient but should i go the extra mile and get stainless worktops that are alot more money and harder to get fitted. They would of course be harder wearing and probably easirer to keep clean.

Thoughts please, i promise to put some more pics up over the comming weekend as long as Stoneleigh doesn't swallow me up!

C B

Stainless steel or melomine will both work, However the key to the whole thing is ensuring no cracks or gaps as you touch walls ensure you have a good curved seal going up the wall using silicon sealant. no corners for crap to build up in and which ever surface you use make sure you put a drip edge on the leading surface to aviod water dripping back under the worksurfaces.

New pictures finally!!

Sorry for the massive delay since the last uploads, so much has been going on other than doing the sheds.

We have now cleaned the inside out and given it a good wash before installing worktops and storage units:

DSC04064.jpg

DSC04061.jpg

We also finally got round to starting the outside painting of the units good old Mid Brunswick Green!

DSC04066.jpg

You may also be able to see the blue cable coming out of the side of the unit next to the door, this is 16amp cable which when we need electricity in the shed is connected to an extension lead over to the main shed and electic board. This prevents cables being left laying around the yard because due to the fact that plenty of high trucks move about the yard I couldn't string it up high enough.

C B

Hey Crazy are you taking in lodgers? They look better than my house.

PH had better watch out or you'll be stealing his clients.

Very nice job.
I used containers like this at work for a while and when we lifted them had quite a few rats under.
Worth keeping an eye on.

Shaping up well .

make sure you fit diffusers to the fluorescent lights ;).
local food safety bods are picky about it !!.

John Wilkinson

Food grade/standard flourescents are available which are coated so they do not shatter if broken. Diffusers are probably frowned on, but accepted.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back