Cox bee escape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Apprentices

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
3 Modified Warre
Has anyone got any of the Cox type bee escapes, if so what does it work like for you.

I have made several to try out in 6 7 8 9 gateways.

Waste of kit like that.

Cut them in four and put two in corners as I have posted on here more than once.

In fact given your abilities with DIY why bash metal? Check the thread on clearer boards.

PH

PH. Dragging some beeks into 21st century beekeeping is going to be harder than you think :)

I'll have to count the amount of times you have said about clearer boards on here.

Why was there no KISS in this post? ;)

Waste of kit like that.

Cut them in four and put two in corners as I have posted on here more than once.

In fact given your abilities with DIY why bash metal? Check the thread on clearer boards.

PH

Those cost around 2 quid in materials to make, not that dear and really easy to make, tin snips and a soft soldering iron.

Yes I have seen the corner plastic types that the Canadians use and I might try those corner versions with brass ones.

I think they are simple, take about 20 mins to make, but not so stupid to be able.

I enjoy making anything from recycled stuff, which I used to get from a local engineers scrap bin, which they now keep for me.

I made a couple of Porta type escapes out of thin perspex from a bubble pack.

like this instead

I have cut the Cox into 4 quarters like suggested and will make up a glass quilt come clearer by making an underdrop of 50.00mm so the bees can gather and clear more easily and a standard bee space on the other side.

The very corners of the glass sheet are cut off to allow for the way out, the escape units are held in place by a small groove in the corners of the frame, which they slide/slot into firmly creating the correct gap.

Picture also shows another of my Cox escapes in the middle, I could emit this if anyone thinks it won't be needed with having the four gorner units? If so I won't have to drill the 30.00mm hole in the middle saving a fiver for the diamond hole cutter.

The glass was reclaimed from an old skipped DG unit, the wooden frame from off cuts from Howarth Timber and the escape from brass scraps, total cost 9 quid and two hours making time.

Another view from underneath with the corner of the glass sheet cut off and the trap in situ, This gives 12 gates in total.

For those who want to try it themselves all you need is a brass or tin sheet of. 70. mm or 22 gauge at 130.00mm dia bronze sheet or PB 102 at 8 thousands of an inch thick by 4-5 mm wide and a pair of tin snips and a soldering iron.

You can get new materials from either

Metalsmiths or M Machine off the shelf for just a few quid.

I have cut the Cox into 4 quarters like suggested and will make up a glass quilt come clearer by making an underdrop of 50.00mm so the bees can gather and clear more easily and a standard bee space on the other side.

The very corners of the glass sheet are cut off to allow for the way out, the escape units are held in place by a small groove in the corners of the frame, which they slide/slot into firmly creating the correct gap.

Picture also shows another of my Cox escapes in the middle, I could emit this if anyone thinks it won't be needed with having the four gorner units? If so I won't have to drill the 30.00mm hole in the middle saving a fiver for the diamond hole cutter.

The glass was reclaimed from an old skipped DG unit, the wooden frame from off cuts from Howarth Timber and the escape from brass scraps, total cost 9 quid and two hours making time.

Very impressed and very 21st Century.

Design a smoker that is nothing like the ones we have now?

Very impressed and very 21st Century.

Design a smoker that is nothing like the ones we have now?

Cheers and thanks

I'm making another smoker with a difference at the moment from a ready made copper tube I got from a local supplier, its going to have a flat funnel/venturi outlet and a variable flow valve for smoke regulation, very similar to my yellow version, the worlds first shut off valve I think.

Finished clearer board.

Back