Could there be too many beekeepers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncorne

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Beekeeping certainly appears to be getting more popular now. I've just totted up 8 beekeepers within a mile radius of the centre of my village, and two more are interested in starting up as well.

Is this density of beekeepers common?

Jc

Bee keeping has dramatically declined in the UK and in the past one hundred years there has been around a 75% decrease in the number of bee hives. Today there are an estimated 274,000 honey bee hives in the UK; the majority of these hives are kept by approximately 44,000 amateur keepers. Around 200 bee keepers manage bees on a professional basis and collectively they manage around 40,000 colonies.

So no, is the short answer i guess

I'd assume that, in some areas, there are too many colonies but whether that translates to too many bee keepers is a slightly different question.

One of the things that held me back from taking an active interest was the thought that bee keeping, in view of CCD, was probably something to leave to the experts. Until the causes of CCD were understood it was possible that novices could do more harm than good. I still don't know the truth in that, but it's certainly something I'll be considering before I get my first colony.

Last edited:
I have noticed the increase in the amount of sellers and equipment on ebay in the last couple of years, so I pressume there must be more beeks (or beeks to be) out there buying the stuff.

There has not to my knowledge (limited as that is) been a case of CCD other than in the states.

No reason to let something that we don't have hold one back.

PH

Our village has 3.

1. 8-12 hives (when last seen)

2. 2 hives

3. Me...4 and hopefully counting...

The village is about a mile x a mile and a half...

We'll have too many beekeepers when we don't need to import honey any more. At the moment we're still bringing in about 80% I believe.

May I ask where you get your numbers from Winker?

PH

Our village has 3.

1. 8-12 hives (when last seen)

2. 2 hives

3. Me...4 and hopefully counting...

The village is about a mile x a mile and a half...

if they forage 3miles from the village then that is about a circle 3.5miles in diameter or 3.5 x 3.5 x pi= 36.75 sq miles or about 24000 acrea

so about one hive to 2000 acres

It's true that we import about 80% of honey consumed. That's probably because there are not enough large scale beekeepers, rather than not enough beekeepers. I know that with only three colonies I for one could never achieve the economies of scale needed to make my honey attractively priced for the consumer (and I don't mean getting down to silly supermarket prices). I've heard it said that there are less beekeepers now in the UK than there were at the end of World War 2. There is also much less hedgerow, much more monoculture and much more concrete than there was at the end of World War 2. Be interesting to figure out what honey bee population this country could sustain now compared with sixty odd years ago

There is a very good reason for the drop in numbers after WW 2..

LOL

Sugar was rationed aye? But beekeepers got extra ration for the bees....

After rationing finished why bother with hives? and BTW I was told anecdotally that a lot of the hives were just that, empty hives...

There's more to stats than meets the eye...LOL

PH

Bee keeping has dramatically declined in the UK and in the past one hundred years there has been around a 75% decrease in the number of bee hives. Today there are an estimated 274,000 honey bee hives in the UK; the majority of these hives are kept by approximately 44,000 amateur keepers. Around 200 bee keepers manage bees on a professional basis and collectively they manage around 40,000 colonies.

That estimated figure of total hive numbers is pretty well known to be way too high, and is an old figure that has been left unchanged in govt. figures for many years. The truth could easily be 100,000 less, but if the official figure is modified downwards the UK would get less of the EU pot, and the bodies slashed back as a result would be the NBU and the inspectorate. The EU money not being used as intended in the UK is a totally separate matter. (Its not just these 'blooming foreigners' that are 'at it'.)

At one of the management group meetings in London recently it was suggested that there were more like 175,000, and that 35%, possibly more, were in the hands of larger scale entities, and that those entities accounted for in excess of 80% of the UK traded honey supply. Slightly muddied figures of course, as some of these entities are both BFA members and BKA members, and thus part of both camps and both counts.

UK honey supply is fickle, and is a remarkably small slice of the trade, as the 20% often quoted includes that honey that never reaches open market in any way. By almost all measures we do not have enough bees in the UK, and if we were to hit the TRADED honey target of say 20%, it would mean a big uplift in hive and beekeeper numbers. Trouble is, the bigger the share you shoot for (and govts of all hues like the idea of the help it would give to the balance of payments) the lower in price the slice of the market you have to aim for. Honey sales are slow right now due to last years crop being offered at too high a price, the packers stopping buying it, and it still lying unsold today, with new seasons just round the corner to add to the stockpile. Not sure if it was Rooftops or Hivemaker that predicted a big drop in the bulk price of blossom honey this year, but they definitley know what they are talking about.

UK honey will never fill the UK market. Chris B suggested this as the measure of when we have enough bees here, but sadly a measure of maybe 40% of the market is probably more like it, going deeper in than that necessitates competing with provenances whose price point is way below that at which we can break even. Much of the true cheap end of the market is trading into the UK at under USD 2000 per tonne. (Actual figure 1750, CIF UK port, as per stock offerings only two weeks ago. Duty still to be added.) The idea we could EVER compete with that is a non starter. (And what a waste to think your nice honey could be used on the likes of sugar puffs and baked into oblivion in the cooking process.)

Last edited:

Nice stats Winker.
not worthy

They might be if right but ITLD has rather pricked that balloon.

PH

Honey sales are slow right now due to last years crop being offered at too high a price, the packers stopping buying it, and it still lying unsold today

I have been shopping today.....a leisurely shop without husband.
I looked in three supermarkets, five "artisan" shops and a local market. Not a SINGLE jar of english honey to be had.
Plenty of Chinese though.

They might be if right but ITLD has rather pricked that balloon.

PH

Well if it's getting us some funds that would otherwise be going to build roads in Portugal then I suggest you get your sticking plasters out and repair the holes in the balloon quick!

;)

The idea we could EVER compete with that is a non starter. (And what a waste to think your nice honey could be used on the likes of sugar puffs and baked into oblivion in the cooking process.)

Do you know how much of the cheap import market is "spoiled" Bakers' honey ITLD?

In the days past beekeeping was part of the family - every home had a hive if they were growing veg/fruit. Traditionally it was the women of the household who tended the bees - usually the matriach, and it was her duty to tell the bees the 'news'. She would never go to the hives without chatting to them and telling them what was happening. On the death of the matriach it was thought the bees told the other hives around of the death and the soul of the beekeeper joined the hive - hence the bees being seen as one complete unit - made of thousands of individuals.
So.I suppose if we all have a hive, we'd be back to square one.....

Latest posts

Back