Could my holiday stop me from keeping bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend in The Shetlands and she says that you can wear shorts and Tshirt on one or two weeks a year :):)
Have you considered a TBH and let them get on with it?

Take care importing bees into Shetland, they possibly have a select gene pool on the island, and may have some special circumstances with regard to pests & deseases (for example do they have Varroa on the island yet?).

I'm in Shetland. Don't think there are wild bees here. I've never actually seen any. We have plenty of bumblebees.

I'm going to try to locate a nuc in the mainland.

Whereabouts in Shetland are you? I was thinking of getting up again this year if I could, but now I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Take care importing bees into Shetland, they possibly have a select gene pool on the island, and may have some special circumstances with regard to pests & deseases (for example do they have Varroa on the island yet?).

Well said. The only nearby islands are a bit too far off.

I have a friend in The Shetlands and she says that you can wear shorts and Tshirt on one or two weeks a year :):)
Have you considered a TBH and let them get on with it?

Rubbish. It can be lovely in summer. Not very hot, but lovely with very, very long days.

I'm in Shetland. Don't think there are wild bees here. I've never actualy seen any. We have plenty of bumblebees.

I'm going to try to locate a nuc in the mainland.

please don't Shetland may still bevarroa free, you will be the Typhoid Mary, does Gavin know if they have varroa (shows the Dark side Forum dont cover scotland but still has the title British)"

extract from Scottish Beekeepers forum (April2010)

"I just had a look at the April issue of Beecraft. There is an article about Bee Health by Margaret Cowley on page 5, where she states: 'The only places in the UK without varroa are the Isle of Man and the Scillies.'

This is of course incorrect as Orkney, Colonsay and Mull are to my knowledge still ok, and the rumour about Shetland having varroa might not be true. Can anybody add to this list or clarify the situation in Shetland?

The statement in Beecraft can be potentially very damaging, as it gives people the false impression that varroa is everywhere anyway and that it's ok to move bees anywhere in the UK except to the IoM and the Scillies.

I think that we should write to the editor, Claire Waring, and ask her to publish a correction in the next edition, but we should have an idea first, which areas are still clear."

Last edited:
I think that we should write to the editor, Claire Waring, and ask her to publish a correction in the next edition, but we should have an idea first, which areas are still clear."

From your point of view, is that we=you or we=I?

It's just that you said "I think", but "we should write" and "we should have an idea first . . ."

I am presuming that you are meaning that you would be happy to write to the Editor to correct the error, if others can verify the facts for you. It doesn't need to be a group effort writing.

I think someone suggested that Gavin would know. A PM might be a good idea, as I'm sure that it is a subject close to his heart, if not his sporran.

Some will doubtless think me being picky, but I'm not, I just like a bit of clarity in my life and what started as a good idea, "I think . . ." quickly lost focus. :drool5:

I don't get BeeCraft, so I am not in a position to do anything and wouldn't want to steal your thunder anyhow. I agree with you whole heartedly that the factual errors or omissions in the article could have unfortunate ramifications.

Are you happy to be elected?

From your point of view, is that we=you or we=I?

It's just that you said "I think", but "we should write" and "we should have an idea first . . ."

I am presuming that you are meaning that you would be happy to write to the Editor to correct the error, if others can verify the facts for you. It doesn't need to be a group effort writing.

I think someone suggested that Gavin would know. A PM might be a good idea, as I'm sure that it is a subject close to his heart, if not his sporran.

Some will doubtless think me being picky, but I'm not, I just like a bit of clarity in my life and what started as a good idea, "I think . . ." quickly lost focus. :drool5:

I don't get BeeCraft, so I am not in a position to do anything and wouldn't want to steal your thunder anyhow. I agree with you whole heartedly that the factual errors or omissions in the article could have unfortunate ramifications.

Are you happy to be elected?

as i said in my post it is an extract from the scottish beekeepers forum, note the " " marks

it is not my views it is infact "doris" who ever she is on the SBF in april last year

i , we or you is not asking us , you or me to do anything it is " doris" asking members of the SBF

i was showing it to the Shetlands beekeeper as proof he should not import bees from the mainland

Last edited:
Wannabee?

Contact Angus Nicol at Fracakfield who keeps bees, and there is I believe one other beekeeper on the islands.

He is fighting to keep Shetland free of Varroa, and would most apreciate your assistance in this.

For more info PM me and I will facilitate matters for you if you wish.

I sent bees to Angus pre varroa.

PH

My thoughts are that they are unlikely to swarm this year, and once you get your hive, you will probably not want to go on holiday anyway.

Go for it. Get the hive!

Wannabee?

Contact Angus Nicol at Fracakfield who keeps bees, and there is I believe one other beekeeper on the islands.

He is fighting to keep Shetland free of Varroa, and would most apreciate your assistance in this.

For more info PM me and I will facilitate matters for you if you wish.

I sent bees to Angus pre varroa.

PH

Angus Nicol where, PH? Is that a typo?

Angus was phoned last night.

I had coms from the gentleman on here today and gave the phone number.

If you want to see Sea Otters in Shetland and learn some useful extreme beekeeping tips Angus is your man, not to mention some VERY hardy plants, as he is the main producer of plants on the Shetlands.

Advert over.

Lovely man and married to a lovely lass who is a school Sec.

PH (and I supplied some bees to him....)

Seen them there. And sea lions, porpoises, etc. Fantastic place. Even in the dead of winter.

Must check out local beeks when I am next there.

Bring the bees on holidays "lol"

Steve

We had a pet pheasant chick when I was little. He came on holiday to Derbyshire as he was still being hand fed.
When he got older he perched in the living room at night.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back