Cosmetic safety assessor recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Can anyone why has already been through the process of selling cosmetics recommend a cosmetic safety assessor please? There seem to be so many to choose from, it would be great to have a recommendation of an assessor who understands the use of one's own beeswax and/or honey for the CPSR. Thanks in advance 😊

Not used but Sara Robb may be able to advise as she usually has a stand at the NHS.

You may need to apply to the APHA for an ABP117. I can't remember if it's needed for your own beeswax but they APHA are really helpful if you email/call to ask.

Reactions: Kaz
Not used but Sara Robb may be able to advise as she usually has a stand at the NHS.

You may need to apply to the APHA for an ABP117. I can't remember if it's needed for your own beeswax but they APHA are really helpful if you email/call to ask.
Thanks wilco, I've just checked the regs for ABP117 and wax doesn't fall into any of those categories (phew - one less thing to worry about) 😊

I have used cosmeticsafetyassessment.com for my soaps and they were very good. Rang them first to find out what they needed then filled in the forms on their website and sent them in with payment. They have provided all the information about packaging, labeling, safe production and record keeping that can wash back into your beekeeping records. All together a very helpful and comprehensive service.

I have used cosmeticsafetyassessment.com for my soaps and they were very good. Rang them first to find out what they needed then filled in the forms on their website and sent them in with payment. They have provided all the information about packaging, labeling, safe production and record keeping that can wash back into your beekeeping records. All together a very helpful and comprehensive service.
Thanks @Nik - did they want to test your beeswax separately or just the end product(s)?

Thanks @Nik - did they want to test your beeswax separately or just the end product(s)?
It was purely a paper exercise, no testing at all. The ingredients need to be listed with sources and batch numbers recorded. For the beeswax I just put myself as the source and had no problems. I think the concern is making sure the soap has the correct ratios of lye to oils and that you keep records for traceability in the event of any issues. They also gave instructions on registering on the cosmetic products notification service that the UK Government have set up to replace the EU one following Brexit. That must be done before you start selling but you will need the details from the assessment to fill in all the forms.

It was purely a paper exercise, no testing at all. The ingredients need to be listed with sources and batch numbers recorded. For the beeswax I just put myself as the source and had no problems. I think the concern is making sure the soap has the correct ratios of lye to oils and that you keep records for traceability in the event of any issues. They also gave instructions on registering on the cosmetic products notification service that the UK Government have set up to replace the EU one following Brexit. That must be done before you start selling but you will need the details from the assessment to fill in all the forms.
Brilliant, thank you. I was of the complete misunderstanding that they test the actual products. Really helpful, thank you 😊

Latest posts

Back