Confused Lady

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had a phone call from a lady yesterday, saying she had a swarm of honey bees and would I take care of them. On questioning her I asked are they honey bees and where were they. She assured me they were H bees, so I agreed to go and have a look.

When I got to the cottage I was directed to the end of the garage where the bees were entering the roof, only to find scout bumble bees.
I pointed out to the lady they were the same as those on her sage bush and would cause no harm and are short lived and best to leave well alone.

Fortunately the house was only a 2 miles from my home and near the pub, so a swift half was enjoyed on the way home.

Wish my call out that easy.. garage with apex roof.. but lady concerned bees were eating the ceiling in the garage. I did chuckle initially.

On inspection.. chuckling stopped!...the false roof in the garage was 1" thick fibre board. Bees were hanging from the ceiling in large cluster. I checked them out using a thin knife to see what had happened. Sure enough bees were in the centre of a bee-made hole about 8" across, with loads of 'fluffy' ceiling fibre on the floor below. I removed 4 small pieces of comb, with brood in, and gently put in swarm box, hoping to get the bees to be removed with it.
No chance.... above this comb is fine chicken wire .. and I could see about 8 layers of comb above that! :hairpull:

I have agreed to work with a builder to remove the garage roof tiles, excavate all the comb there and then the builder can replace the roof. Bee access to the colony is through the poorly fitting apex tiles.

Going to be a bloody good donation to Air Ambulance!!

I have agreed to work with a builder to remove the garage roof tiles, excavate all the comb there and then the builder can replace the roof. Bee access to the colony is through the poorly fitting apex tiles.
Isn't this when people usually swear it has just arrived?:hairpull:

Nearly got all the colony out. Went up through ceiling rather than down through roof tiles which was their entrance.
The little monkeys had eaten through 2 layers of fibre board, with chicken wire in between . 7 frames of comb, narrow but 18" length so interesting rubber banding into frames.
Back today to hoover up the cluster which has prob reconvened in the empty space. Then I can scrape out residue , ready for the builder to rebuild.
Where are these lovely swarms, hanging 6' in a shrub, waiting patiently for collection??...
Ah well, Air Ambulance will hopefully get a generous donation as I have already said.. ''no charge, BUT'..

Latest posts

Back