condensation in polystyrene nuclei

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I was thinking of getting mysef a few polystyrene nuc's this year for over wintering a few colonies. i hear that there is a lot of problem with condensation in them and you can even get a puddle of water in the bottom of the nuc. Are any of you using them and how do you solve the problem of condensation

i hear that there is a lot of problem with condensation in them

"I hear" - can you give some credible reports?

OK, I only have two but they most certainly will NOT have puddles of water in them!

No problem, so no solution necessary!

Poly hives have been in use for some 30 years; I would have thought this type of 'problem' (were it one) would have come up umpteen times if really true; I see no real difference between a nuc and a hive either in this respect.

Any colony, in an improperly ventilated hive, can succumb to damp problems. Seems to me to be a bit of an 'old wives' tale from those who want to blame the material of the hive for their inadequacies as beekepers.

RAB

Use of mesh varroa floors provides all the ventilation you need in both neucs and full hives made of wood or plastic.

This seems very unlikely to be true.

The thick walls of the nuc or hive will be 'bee temperature' on the inside; the very low rate at which they conduct heat means there's a big difference between inside and outside, so the inside gets to stay close to the cluster's outer surface temperature despite the outside world being much colder.

This, coupled with some light ventilation such as a mesh floor or open entrance, means there shouldn't be a condensing surface for water to form up on - that needs high humidity and a cold surface to bring the contacting air down to dew point.

I guess the best chance for that would be when the bees are purposely driving off water from nectar, which would raise the humidity massively over simple respiration but that's unlikely to happen when it's really cold.

Most likely, if there are real-world examples of this happening, would be leaks letting in rain or a strong draft somewhere (crack or split) cooling down the inside of the wall surfaces - both 'broken' nuc/hive problems rather than a characteristic of poly itself.

FG

Can I politely suggest Keith that you ask them wot know about this.

If you want to phone me I will pm you my number.

I have some 30 of the nucs, have run poly for 25 years, and have yet to see water in them. Where from for goodness sake?

PH

Currently have two colonies in Poly with OMF - perfect conditions.
50% of my cedar hives show signs of mould in various places, mainly around the crown boards. The mould is generally on timber that is not treated and/or not cedar

The wooden ones absorb and hold moisture, Poly does not.

Sorry, but ii the last couple of weeks ,i was talking to three beekeepers over here( ireland) and they all said that they had condensation problem with poly nuc's in the winter.
If you lifted the roof for a peek, the inside of the roof was dripping with condensation like the inside of a frosty galvinesed sheds roof after a bit of sunshine had hit it. And one of them said that he had actually seen moisture lying on the floor of the nuc.Maby it the weather conditions over here.
I have a dozen on order, so i will be able to tell you first hand by this time next year... keith

I run some 30 nucs and have yet so see condensation in them, nor have I ever seen condensation in a poly hive.

Which nucs do they have and what configuration are the floors?

PH

Only thing I can think of would be if a jumbo feeder was left on over winter but the feeder would retain the water and not create puddles on the floor.

(Made that mistake several years ago)

The Park bees Poly Nuc which are adjustable to 14x12 or standard or langstroth, but do not have a OMF floor and have no ventilation except the entrance

Would this cause condensation problems ( colder near entrance but unventilated therefore high humidity)

i have a couple but have fitted them with OMF so they work ok, just i did not even wish to try them without OMF

Should have tried one as they came on solid and no vents:banghead:

These are completly solid with only a small hole for an enterance.He mentions the name of a supplier in scotland that he got them off, but i cant remember.

These are completly solid with only a small hole for an enterance.He mentions the name of a supplier in scotland that he got them off, but i cant remember.

I think Denrosa Apiaries supply polys in Scotland, I believe they are swienty. They could be your friends supplier.

what are the best one's to get, and if they have a solid floor, what size hole would you put in the floor without over doing

what does FINMAN use

I have splitted poly Lanstroth boxes to 3 pieces with table saw. They have finger size entrance. The is a high temperature and dew point is outside the box. No condensation. I use them in summer as mating nucs.

I cannot image to use mesh floor in nucs because 20 x 20 mm opening is enough. I see that from number of ventilating bees.

Of course I could use half spiltted boxesbut those small colonies are only nuisance in spring.

Latest posts

Back