Concealed broken products.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy ginger nuts, not much in packet crumbling going on with those tuff cookies.

I agree, usually not much of a problem with ginger nuts, the main ones are custard creams, digestive biscuits and rich tea, the latter two seem to often suffer with hairline cracks... which break into pieces and fall into a cup of tea when dunking them.

Seem to often be paying top notch prices for a product that is broken, as they are not not often wrapped in clear packaging the only way around it would be to open the packets and examine the contents before buying them, may need to open several packets until one is found that is not damaged, alternatively shops should take back any broken biscuits in exchange for undamaged ones, or a refund. Is there a law against selling damaged goods in this way?

I find if you break a rich tea in half beforehand and double the halves up in one dip they don't often fall into the tea - also identifies any hairline fractures before the dunking act

I agree, usually not much of a problem with ginger nuts, the main ones are custard creams, digestive biscuits and rich tea, the latter two seem to often suffer with hairline cracks... which break into pieces and fall into a cup of tea when dunking them.

Seem to often be paying top notch prices for a product that is broken....

Aldi Chocolate Digestives ... 55p Mcvities Chocloate Digestives £1.00+. Never had a broken one from Aldi and I reckon they taste better than McVities which I find a little too salty. The other Aldi Biscuit ranges are good as well and because they tend to display them in their cardboard outer boxes I rarely get a broken one. I just love their Malted Milk ones which dunk superbly ...

Goodness knows ...when does spring arrive ., am I REALLY posting on a thread about broken biscuits ???

I find if you break a rich tea in half beforehand and double the halves up in one dip they don't often fall into the tea - also identifies any hairline fractures before the dunking act

You should always break your biscuits - that way the calories fall out.

Perhaps we should resort to American cookies, their texture is somewhat more flexible and less likely to crumble but will need to be broken first if dunking is your cup of tea

I often make my own biscuits.
Quite a few of those are broken before they get put in the tin......quality control, you know ;)

Seem to often be paying top notch prices for a product that is broken, as they are not not often wrapped in clear packaging the only way around it would be to open the packets and examine the contents before buying them, may need to open several packets until one is found that is not damaged, alternatively shops should take back any broken biscuits in exchange for undamaged ones, or a refund. Is there a law against selling damaged goods in this way?

Its a good point, but it boils down to whether they're fit for purpose or miss sold in any way? Are your favourite brands marketed as rugged dunking buscuits or does the packaging artfully leave out any mention of possible crumbling resulting in a mush at the bottom of your last glug of tea?
Lets not even start on crackers, how infuriating to not be able to balance a wedge of cheese on the unsafe foundations of a crumbling cracker? But here I see we cannot complain with a clear conscience as the very name "crackers" implies a bit of cracking, we should petition the EU to sort it out!

I cant get enough of the Aldi caramel waffles. They are great with a hot drink, placed on top of the cup whiles the tea is brewing the caramel in the middle is then runny when eventually eaten after a quick dunk.

I cant get enough of the Aldi caramel waffles. They are great with a hot drink, placed on top of the cup whiles the tea is brewing the caramel in the middle is then runny when eventually eaten after a quick dunk.

Yes yes yes ...but they keep running out in my local store ... I think everyone has discovered them and keep telling everyone instead of keeping them a secret ...

We have a much classier local varient ,http://tregroeswaffles.co.uk/, pretty much the same, just a tiny bit dearer, but better toffee ingredients and nicer :)
A friend of mine worked there to save up for college, and as a parting gift was given a waffle griddle, he left college dept free having spent every Saturday morning making fresh waffles on Camden market with his then girlfriend, now wife. An inspiration.

We have a much classier local varient ,http://tregroeswaffles.co.uk/, pretty much the same, just a tiny bit dearer, but better toffee ingredients and nicer :)
A friend of mine worked there to save up for college, and as a parting gift was given a waffle griddle, he left college dept free having spent every Saturday morning making fresh waffles on Camden market with his then girlfriend, now wife. An inspiration.

Tunnocks made in Uddingston!

Latest posts

Back