Compost conundrum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panteg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone have any idea why my nice quiet bees seem to really object to me turning over my compost heaps? I’ve just been chased off for the second time this year. In June I thought it was just because they were thinking about swarming and a bit agitated anyway, but all is quiet now in my hives (at least 50 yards away from my compost bins) yet I have just had two really cross bees chase me into the kitchen twice. Admittedly the heap is hot and smelly in middle but it’s no threat to my bees. Turning compost in a bee jacket really seems a bit extreme!

They may be getting warm moisture from the heap. It beats the cold Teme river water. Do you know where they normally drink from?
E

They may be getting warm moisture from the heap. It beats the cold Teme river water. Do you know where they normally drink from?
E
They seem to like the moss at the edge of the pond, or sometimes the damp patch in front of the greenhouse door. The compost heap is usually covered so they don't get a chance to drink from it.

Anyone have any idea why my nice quiet bees seem to really object to me turning over my compost heaps? I’ve just been chased off for the second time this year. In June I thought it was just because they were thinking about swarming and a bit agitated anyway, but all is quiet now in my hives (at least 50 yards away from my compost bins) yet I have just had two really cross bees chase me into the kitchen twice. Admittedly the heap is hot and smelly in middle but it’s no threat to my bees. Turning compost in a bee jacket really seems a bit extreme!

Banana skins in the compost?

Compost heaps give off a gas as they rot so you are probably disturbing the heap and they can smell the gas given off.

They seem to like the moss at the edge of the pond, or sometimes the damp patch in front of the greenhouse door. The compost heap is usually covered so they don't get a chance to drink from it.

Uncover it for a couple of days before messng wt it?

Have you heard the saying Smells like a bear's Aaaaar***. Maybe they think it is a threat. Or alternatively. You are working hard turning a heap so you will sweat and have a little adrenaline in the air.
I am waiting for it to cool down some more before planting some apple trees near to one of my hives.

Latest posts

Back