combined bee and beek reviver.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
if you are a softie and have bees in the garden this is the time of year you will go rescuing chilled bees.
I have found the ideal reviver.
Looking for a piece of card to pick the bee up on i found a beer mat sized piece of veroboard (perforated bakelite for electronic projects) put the bee on it and went indoors looking for a means to warm her up.
Then came the idea, make a cup of coffee and balance the card on top of the coffee mug alternatly drinking the coffee and warming the bee. The warm steam coming through the holes revived the completely comatose bee in a few minutes of me sharing the cup of coffee with the bee. From black wet lump to homeward flying bee. Will add the pics tommorow.

Last edited:
if you are a softie and have bees in the garden this is the time of year you will go rescuing chilled bees.
I have found the ideal reviver.
Looking for a piece of card to pick the bee up on i found a beer mat sized piece of veroboard (perforated bakelite for electronic projects) put the bee on it and went indoors looking for a means to warm her up.
Then came the idea, make a cup of coffee and balance the card on top of the coffee mug alternatly drinking the coffee and warming the bee. The warm steam coming through the holes revived the completely comatose bee in a few minutes of me sharing the cup of coffee with the bee. From black wet lump to homeward flying bee.

You big softie ... you'll be giving them warm hives and hot water bottles next !

I pick mine up with those things called fingers. Often just the warmth of your hand will revive them.

Then came the idea, make a cup of coffee and balance the card on top of the coffee mug alternatly drinking the coffee and warming the bee.
dont drink the bee..

Am wary of handling at the mo. Went to my bees in the garden.. just to check mouseguards in place. One flier just zapped me on the neck and it was no lovebite! Are they queenless??? Only a Nuc so no great deal, but dont like to lose any:(

I often carry a few about in my hand. By the time I've done a patrol of the hives and looked at the pond they are revived.

Am wary of handling at the mo. Went to my bees in the garden.. just to check mouseguards in place. One flier just zapped me on the neck and it was no lovebite! Are they queenless??? Only a Nuc so no great deal, but dont like to lose any:(

Same here with my nuc got zapped on the thumb, was a bit closer than you though! I guess they know they are more vulnerable - no safety in numbers compared to regular colonies. No, I don't think they are queenless - just doing their jobs!

Hi all,
My bees and climate are not at the stage whereby I would venture holding what I may think is a torpid bee in my hand! I'll just have the coffee... indoors.

Same here with my nuc got zapped on the thumb, was a bit closer than you though! I guess they know they are more vulnerable - no safety in numbers compared to regular colonies. No, I don't think they are queenless - just doing their jobs!

very similar to one of mine, they seem to have adequate stores, but they were circling above the Poly Nuc in a manic way, very defensive

very similar to one of mine, they seem to have adequate stores, but they were circling above the Poly Nuc in a manic way, very defensive

No doubt the time of year! I went to put on the mouse guards a few days ago and one colony (ok...so they have been a bit tetchy in the past) emerged literally in their thousands to fend me off. They were not in the least impressed with the mouseguard and hung about on the front of the hive for an age!

LJ

I often rescue a few and have them in the palm of my hand.. But now the frosts have come, waste of time.

Latest posts

Back