Comb dilemma...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemcook

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys,

This is been bothering me for a little while I think I know the answer but I'm not 100% sure so I thought I would check with you lot ...thank you :)

So I have some leftover frames with lots of drawn comb which I would obviously love to reuse considering they're not made of the type of frames which I can dismantle and put new foundation in, also there is a fair amount of time in Effort potentially saved for the bees reusing the comb

The Dilemma comes in the fact that there is a fair chunk of hard crystallized honey in the frames, I would say in patches maybe about half a frame, so I was wondering if I was to cut out the piece of Honey would the bees be happy with rebuilding the rest of the frame with their own comb? They haven't touched the Old honey and I'm reluctant to scrape down all of the valuable comb and bin the if it could be reused?

Thanks
Clem x

Ok
Hi guys,

This is been bothering me for a little while I think I know the answer but I'm not 100% sure so I thought I would check with you lot ...thank you :)

So I have some leftover frames with lots of drawn comb which I would obviously love to reuse considering they're not made of the type of frames which I can dismantle and put new foundation in, also there is a fair amount of time in Effort potentially saved for the bees reusing the comb

The Dilemma comes in the fact that there is a fair chunk of hard crystallized honey in the frames, I would say in patches maybe about half a frame, so I was wondering if I was to cut out the piece of Honey would the bees be happy with rebuilding the rest of the frame with their own comb? They haven't touched the Old honey and I'm reluctant to scrape down all of the valuable comb and bin the if it could be reused?

Thanks
Clem x
Dissolve it by dipping and soaking the frames in Luke warm water. They don't have to be totally clean as the honey will soften in the water and the bees will be able to use it.
E

Amazing thank you Enrico, everything seems so simple when you know the answer! I'm glad I checked :)

Clem

Ok
Dissolve it by dipping and soaking the frames in Luke warm water. They don't have to be totally clean as the honey will soften in the water and the bees will be able to use it.
E

I did just that a while back and it worked a treat, however if the frames can not be dismantled when new foundation is required i would personally melt the wax and use the frames for kindling.

Latest posts

Back