Collected a swarm - what next??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailsaboat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got a call from my neighbor saying she thought there was a swarm in her garden - could I help. Well, short story is, it's now in an upturned cardboard box on a sheet in my garden. Seems to be a good sized prime.
Unfortunately I'm going away tonight for the weekend, so no time and not much equipment!!
My plan is, in the next 20 mins, take a poly nuke with 1 frame of drawn comb(all I have spare) and the rest of the frames with new foundation.
Shake the bees into the nuc, let the frames settle, put the lid on and hope they take to it.

Given my time restraints and lack of spare equip, is this a good plan? is there anything I could/should do differently?

Any (rapid) advise gratefully received!!

Also, as I'm fairly sure it's a prime - would you rotate the plastic entrance to the queen excluder section to prevent her escape??

Your details show 2 hives.
Pop in a frame of brood from another hive (bee free), fill Nuc with foundation frames, maybe a little syrup feed as they have to draw out foundation.. leave entrance as normal. They wont abscond with brood there.
Go away..

Thanks everyone, got them into the nuc.
They over half filled it without the frames or the ones that didn't go straight in!!
Put the frames in and lid on, there are masses of them around the entrance - hope there's enough room.
Guess I'll find out when I get back on Sunday if they like their new home!!

Not seen this until now. Better response would have been to phone someone to take it away, even if only temporarily. Wouldn't be surprised if it absconds, 6 frames or not. One h*ll of a dilema for the bees if there is a frame of open brood in there yet they will not fit in the box. Never yet tried that one!

Latest posts

Back