Cold weather and egg production.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its.only.money

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
A week ago I checked a nuc I had overwinter and things were looking good. It was only a brief check as the forecast was to turn cold again. Found BIAS, didn't see the queen but not worried.

Today moved nuc to a brood box and again checked for queen but didn't find. A little more worried as although had a few grubs, still plenty of capped brood, but did not see any eggs. Could it be that the cold weather we had last week has reduced/stooped the queen laying? I'm worried now that I have done something stupid on last inspection.

Thanks for comments.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sounds like the nuc is filling up nicely with bees so any cold snap this time of year won't make too much difference to the Queens egg laying.

Check in a weeks time.

If no eggs, you may have damaged the queen last inspection so there may be some Q cells.

If no eggs or Q cells, get a frame of eggs and brood from another hive and introduce it. Give it another week and check for Q cells.

If still no luck or eggs, think about getting yourself a Queen or unite the nuc to another hive.

Chances are the queen is still there and laying. Dummy down the brood box also.

Sounds like the nuc is filling up nicely with bees so any cold snap this time of year won't make too much difference to the Queens egg laying.

Check in a weeks time.

If no eggs, you may have damaged the queen last inspection so there may be some Q cells.

If no eggs or Q cells, get a frame of eggs and brood from another hive and introduce it. Give it another week and check for Q cells.

If still no luck or eggs, think about getting yourself a Queen or unite the nuc to another hive.

Chances are the queen is still there and laying. Dummy down the brood box also.

AND....Insulate the roof... still wintery out there!!

Unless I have missed something - you have three and a half frames of brood and a couple of stores in a wooden brood box. Most definitely keep the nest tight, dummy it nice and cosy, bees tend to build up quicker in smaller spaces. As already said insulate the top and I would suggest that you feed them as well, a light syrup if it's warm enough.

Unless I have missed something - you have three and a half frames of brood and a couple of stores in a wooden brood box. Most definitely keep the nest tight, dummy it nice and cosy, bees tend to build up quicker in smaller spaces. As already said insulate the top and I would suggest that you feed them as well, a light syrup if it's warm enough.

You could even install one of the Terranium heaters that our own dear little snow pixie uses... Finnman!

Yeghes da

Ok you say you had 3 frames of brood some on 4th frame and the rest stores?
Guessing a 5 frame Nuc? You didn’t see any eggs, could this be because there was no space for the Q to lay? Now in brood box dummy down and add a frame (drawn comb if possible) into the brood nest area. All being well the Q will soon have it full

It really pays to make a couple of insulated dummies. Just cut insulation to fit a brood frame and wrap it with tape to stop them chewing. Very cheap and very effective.

PH

Latest posts

Back