Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Well we are getting the decent sub zero snap i asked for before christmas, not entirely sure but must be about 10 consecutive days now at least with this prolonged patch.

My question being, i certainly dont recall such low temps in january for some time, in my eyes its beautiful weather, crisp frosty landscapes with clear blue skies and sunshine, however those poor little buggers must be working overtime in order to maintain a constant temperature, if this weather were to continue would anyone be worried about stores ?

I am glad i gave them some fondant before christmas now.

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Our system here is that we feed hives full in late summer and food will be enough from September to March. No one go to look how they doing.

All acts during winter is only a disturbance.

Last edited:

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Am I losing the plot here - global warming - warmer wetter winters were just such a sign -Hello!! I am looking at rock solid ground, white trees, and water tubs a foot thick in ice - can someone talk THAT one through to prove their case....:toetap05:
Heather (in the SE of UK)

gavin 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
That's easy Heather! Weather fluctuates all the time - in the short term and over erratic cycles of a few years (Google: North Atlantic Oscillation, jet stream, El Nino). Take an average temperature over a few years and you would see that the UK and the world is warming, and warming at a faster and faster rate.

G.

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Its like the FTS100 and this so called credit crunch. Look back over history and we have had drops like this before, but the overall trend ins upwards.

So two things, buy your shares now (low prices)

Dont waste your money in that place in the sun, becuase with rising sea levels and warmer times, Huddersfiled will one day be a beach resort:cheers2::svengo:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Huddersfield?
I aint going on holiday to any place that speaks a foreign language!

tony350i 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
if this weather were to continue would anyone be worried about stores ?

--------------------------------------------

with temps like they have been the last week or so, no

but if the temps this next week coming go up as the say they might then it wouldn't be a bad idea to check or heft the hives.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Tony I agree with you,looking at the forcast I plan to give my hives a little lift towards midweek to see how well off they are for food.

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
You may lift the hive with one hand a little bit and weigh how heavy it feels.
You may weigth it with bathroom balance too from other side.

If the hive feels light, I open the inner cover and I look, do I see capped food in frames. It there is no cappings, food is really short.

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
If the hive feels light, I open the inner cover and I look, do I see capped food in frames. It there is no cappings, food is really short.
Thanks for the useful tip.

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Further to Finmans post - I was taught to slide the crown board over to expose the first frame, check for stores. If empty look at next frame if that is empty too - Feed. Keeping the crown board in place keeps some of the warmth in and the bees too:)
Regards Mike

Latest posts