clover

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian wilford

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
i have found some fields of clover but was told that the bees don't work it until its 70 degrees f or over, anyone got any facts on the idea? thanks for your contibutions.

Hi Adrian,

I don't have any fact as such but I have acre's of white clover at one of my Apiary's. The Bees were working it at temps around 18 -20 last year,I have read the warmer it is the better the flow but the only problem I found was keeping then on it, as soon as the HB is out in flower every hive was surrounded by flying ghost. My thoughts were there wasnt much Clover coming in.

Try this link http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-12196.html

Steve

What colour is clover pollen? I'm struggling to differentiate my bee food sources

cheers steve, maybe not worth moving them in that case.
thanks

What colour is clover pollen? I'm struggling to differentiate my bee food sources

White clover (Trifolium repens) varies from brown to a green/brown colour according to William Kirks colour guide to pollen loads.

White clover (Trifolium repens) varies from brown to a green/brown colour according to William Kirks colour guide to pollen loads.

Fairly good description. It is brown for sure, tending towards a dark khaki.

Bees work clover avidly, even if there is no nectar, as the pollen is much desired. For a decent nectar flow you need good ground moisture and warm temps. The more the moisture, then the secretion temperature comes a little lower. Rarely flows here to any great extent except the very old style small headed native white. The bigger sown clovers are only very occasional yielders.

Alkali soils better for clover yield? We're on the acidic side here and brambles much more reliable and growing very fast in the deluge...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

when do they stop flowering in the south?

september-october in wilts

we have fields of the stuff, but most of the interest is in the bramble. roll on summer

3 years ago, we had some warm weather at the right time and the bees were collecting well over a super a week.

so 100acres on chalk downland, 3miles from the sea, if it warms up will produce masses of nectar before then end of the season?

havent had any luck yet this year.

Latest posts

Back