Cloudy honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
My summer harvest is starting to cloud already. I have a farmers market this Saturday. I'm interested to know others opinions on 'what is good enough' to sell. I.E. Is it ok to sell cloudy honey at the very beginning stages of crystallisation or is it actually totally fine to sell crystallized honey bearing in mind that is what a premium honey naturally does? I haven't made a warming cabinet and do not have the time at the present. Can you actually re-liquidise honey once it is jarred (on mass)?

They have labels on. Good thought though

try them in slow cooker.i have just warmed some up ,with or with out bowl in .
ok i don't ,sell mine yet but it stays runny long enough to give away..... as runny.....

I heard microwave can damage flavour

It's happened to me. The lesson I learned is not to label the jars.
I have now made a warming cabinet.
My 30lb buckets go nicely in a Lidl jam maker and take half a day to get to a nice warm 40C

We have a posh 'rational' commercial oven that does 40c. How long do you reckon it needs to uncloud?

Ely, try half an hour.
Good luck with your farmers' market. Husband and I are off to Conwy Honey Fair on Saturday with a few jars.

Thanks. Good luck to you too!

How would that stop water damage?

Ahh. Humour? This late in the season? I thought the argument clinic would be open by now:)

I stacked 50 jars in the window. They were starting to crystalize a little , the sun has sorted it out for me.
My honey isn't really clear as i only used minimal filtering.

might have done it wrong who knows. people say it tastes nice lol

Last edited:
I had a batch that never went clear, no matter what I did. The water bath is a simple solution but put labels on last thing. Failing a while in a low oven I wouldn't be too worried, some people like a bit of granulation. Just explain it's real honey and tell them how to make it runny again.
Good luck!!

I find that it doesn't matter what condition my honey is in - the butcher has no problems shifting it. A while ago I had a batch of honey that would granulate at the mere hint of cold, it had all been bottled for a while and the butcher was a little dubious as to whether it would shift 'surely everyone prefers runny honey' I told him little wheezes he could pass on to custoners (airing cupboard, microwave, warm water bath etc.) and did say if there was any issues i would put small batches in my warming cabinet each week to keep it runny. Heard nothing more until my mother came back saying they were ready for the next order - '20 runny and 20 set please'! since then the honey hasn't crystalised :banghead: - have to start thinking of setting my own stuff methinks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back