Clothing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arwenevenstar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
I'm new to beekeeping, I have been on my introductory course and have my hives and intend to begin next Spring after I've taken further training. However, I'm looking to get my basic equipment here and there through the year to spread the cost.
I'm looking at clothing right now as I need to go and visit an apiary owned by the guy who ran the intro course and I may as well get it before I go.

Question is:
All the ones I'm seeing appear to be smock type. What would you recommend? I thought that a zip front jacket may be easier to remove if I ever got a bee caught inside one rather than fighting one over my head and getting stung in the process or doesn't it matter?

They are ALL so expensive on Thornes, I am seeing them on ebay...I know you'll probably tell me I'm not a pureist :blush5: but are they all much of a muchness? I am on somewhat of a budget.

I wasn't going to go for beekeeping trousers, just thick camo ones from the army and navy store?

Anyone put me right?

Okay, I know I'll really end up with a load of conflicting answers, but fire away as the more opinions I have the more I'll be able to narrow things down to suit me!

Thanks

Lots of threads on beesuits - usual thing, you get what you pay for.
Buy the best you can afford.

Most people tend to prefer Sherriff or BB Wear; I started with T'ornes, but bought a Sherriff when I found a bee had crawled in through a tiny gap where the zips met.

For me, a boiler-suit zip up type is essential although I have a jacket and veil type too.

And wellies...

Hi,
I'm new to beekeeping, I have been on my introductory course and have my hives and intend to begin next Spring after I've taken further training. However, I'm looking to get my basic equipment here and there through the year to spread the cost.
I'm looking at clothing right now as I need to go and visit an apiary owned by the guy who ran the intro course and I may as well get it before I go.

Question is:
All the ones I'm seeing appear to be smock type. What would you recommend? I thought that a zip front jacket may be easier to remove if I ever got a bee caught inside one rather than fighting one over my head and getting stung in the process or doesn't it matter?

They are ALL so expensive on Thornes, I am seeing them on ebay...I know you'll probably tell me I'm not a pureist :blush5: but are they all much of a muchness? I am on somewhat of a budget.

I wasn't going to go for beekeeping trousers, just thick camo ones from the army and navy store?

Anyone put me right?

Okay, I know I'll really end up with a load of conflicting answers, but fire away as the more opinions I have the more I'll be able to narrow things down to suit me!

Thanks

Best advice is to get a full suit rather than just a jacket.
You will feel much more secure. And if you put it on before approaching the bees, you won't get bees inside.
T's aren't (for this) the best available.
BB Wear and Sher iff have excellent reputations - not much to choose between them.

The real choice to be made is whether to go with a hat style or a fencing veil. Naturally both have their devotees but 'pros' seriously favour the latter.
Then there's the colour - white shows you up from a distance and draws attention to the hives (never mind showing the dirt) - so many with "out apiaries" want semi (or full) camouflage!

Hi,

Thanks

You tend to get what you pay for ... there are some very cheap ones on ebay - I have one like this which I bought for visitors:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beekeepin..._Equipment&hash=item35b3445f87#ht_2711wt_1161

only be suitable for occasional use.

I bought one of these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beekeeper...eping&var=&hash=item3ccc5b2f60#ht_1169wt_1399

It's very good, nicely finished and thick cotton. Good value. Any of the branded makes tend to be very good from what I've seen and they sometimes come up on ebay auctions for sensible prices - I picked up another one to use as a spare with just some slight staining (washed and clean) for £15 - real bargain.

You just have to keep watching, they do come up.

Only other advice is buy the next size up to what you would normally fit in - you really need a bit of room in them for outdoor clothers underneath and bending, lifting etc.

Last edited:
When I first started I was on the cheap too - a veil is all you REALLY need, though a pair of work gloves can come in handy. For full protection, jeans, a long sleeve shirt and some rubber bands and you're all set

After two stings to my bum I would go for a full suit as jackets can ride up when bending and bees seem to like to investigate any exposed areas then sting when acsidently skwished :sunning: I Were jeans with cargo trouses over them and wellies, diposable latex free gloves

Last edited:
When I first started I was on the cheap too - a veil is all you REALLY need, though a pair of work gloves can come in handy. For full protection, jeans, a long sleeve shirt and some rubber bands and you're all set

Are you off your trolley? Jeans :willy_nilly:

I have a colony that give you a right seeing to with just jeans on.

Jeans as the only form of leg protection for a beginner is not adequate.

Hi,

Arwen, as you've probably realised, you've had your spending priorities backwards!

Best to meet some real live potentially stingy bees before spending anything.
Then get your suit as the first thing, so you can visit apiaries, help out and learn. Then spend money on hives, smoker, etc and lastly if you really must, on bees.

The less experience you have, the more its important that you don't have to waste any thought on your personal protection equipment. It ain't bulletproof, but you should feel as though it is.
I have a very thin (and cheap) pullover (no zips, velcro, etc - just elastic waist and wrist bands) jacket for quick visits to my hives (just keeps them out of hair, etc), but always use my suit for visiting other peoples bees! (And for any serious pulling apart of my boxes.)

Last edited:

Note the origin of the "shirt and jeans" poster.
Cowboy!

:iagree:

Note the origin of the "shirt and jeans" poster.
Cowboy!

NOT cowboying (was that a dig?), but hey, you're going to get stung sometimes anyway, and let's face it - that stuff gets pricey after all the equipment, smoker, veil, etc. and I was taught early on that, if nothing else, at least always use a veil. There is SO much stuff out there that is not really necessary (frame holders, 'smoker fuel', etc) that it's is hard for beginners to know what is essential for getting started.
arwenevenstar - if you've had some basic training, just get a box, some frames, and seek a swarm. It's really not that hard of a hobby (though a steep drop into utter fascination) - they've been doing it for millions of years - they wont steer you wrong

Try M0dern beekeeping. They do reasonably priced jackets, I've used one for several years and am happy with it.

The day they get inside your jacket and you are so engrossed that they climb up and into your veil and then panic sets in and you strip off and your wife hoses you down in the garden because she won't let you in while you are being stung, and you kneel there naked, swelling in places that shouldn't swell and crying like a baby is when you realise that a cheap suit is a waste of money and time and you buy a bomb proof one. I know that is a gaudy picture I have just painted but it may happen and when you are new at beekeeping you will panic. After a few years a few stings are still painful but the panic is less and you put up with them until you can deal with them.
Buy the best suit possible, when you have been beekeeping for a few years, sell the expensive one and use the money to buy a cheap one!
Works so much better that way
E

I only bought a jacket in 2010 when I started.. with veil. Still going strong. Replaced elastic on arms and around waist in winter 2012.. that's the only work needed. I have added velcro to close the pockets.

I wear loose trousers and short wellies at our Association apiary where bees can get nasty.. and if really bad I wear a £35 full boilersuit with no entrances via pockets. Very thick and impenetrable by stings. (I use it also for mechaniccing and winter work). Jacket on top.

No need to spend more than £40 on a jacket in my view..

After some 150 stings - mainly on my hands (bare.. no gloves except on bad colonies) I have developed immunity to stings..

Most stings at any time was c 20 last year.. after 10 minutes the swelling disappeared.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with wearing jeans - providing they're American-quality jeans - anyone else here remember the 60's - when we used to shrink 'em by wearing them in the bath ? They are *thick*.

Unlike those which are sold by Tesco and Asda - which just look like jeans ...
But, those are the ones I buy, and so I always wear 2 pairs (one 2-sizes bigger than t'other) when playing with bees. Never been stung through 'em yet.

I don't very often wear 'full armour', but when I do it's a Tyvek coverall - everything elasticated with full front zip. Keeps asbestos out, so bees are no problem. And when it gets dirty - into the bin. No need for washing. Can be sourced from Ebay - they're not expensive.

The only mod I found necessary is to wrap some towelling around the neck before donning the suit, as otherwise there's a thinning of protection where the veil drawstring presses the Tyvek against the neck - and the little darlings can sense that's an ideal place to plant a good 'un.

LJ

If going jacket only route you need to think about what you are doing with the bees.

Jeans i think are no good but if you must, remember no button flys only zips and def no holes in the kness. (this is from experiance on both counts).

I have full suit and a jacket.

and i almost always go full suit, you just never know what you may find in the hive and what you may need to do and some times quickly so you may be in your 'light kit' but have to make splits etc where you will be pulling the hive apart.

its also about the enjoyment i want to be looking at the bees assessing them and not worrying about getting stung.

but you will get stung for me this is normaly around wrists when i become engrosed and dont notice the rubber gloves have rolled down.

I bought my first suit cheap off ebay because everything was adding up when I first started and like you I needed to watch the spending.
A few days later several bee's got into my hood / veil and were trapped inside. The bees got a little frustrated that they were trapped and I got multiple stings.

I couldn't understand why my new suit had let me down.
I examined the suit and saw that where the zips meet at the front of the veil here was a piece of cloth which velco's down over the top of the zips, apparently intended to stop any inquisitive bees who find the tiny gap where the zips meet. I have seen several cheap suits like this since. I found that the velco needs to be under the zips to form a proper seal.

I then invested in a BB make suit for twice the ebay price. The suit is much lighter, cooler to work in, easier to work in and most importantly it has the correct fastening on the veil. Yes my wallet is lighter but I feel more confident during inspections and I haven't had a bee inside my suit since.

Save money on seconds for hives, cheap frames or anything else but don't scrimp on a decent bee suit (and I say suit because all over protection inspires confidence whereas I personally would be more wary with a smock, then again I am a wimp, I am such a wimp that I even wear gloves!)

Last edited:
LOL! I might have known I'd have kicked up a swarm when asking a question about personal preferences!

I know it seems like I have my spending backwards, but I spent a lot of time around bees when I was younger as my grandfather kept them and have been stung on several occasions. As I know I will be getting my bees, it did seem sensible to get my suit so I can make the apiary visits.

I have to say, you have convinced me that the all in one suit is the way to go and so I'll just have to start saving for a Sheriff one, maybe I could sell a limb then there is one less thing to have stung and I'll have the spare cash for my suit ! ;-)

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps they will let you buy one in installments and supply a leg at a time, then all you will have to do is stitch it together when you have all the installments paid :biggrinjester:

Get a full suit; I bought a budget suit for €35 three years ago and it's done me fine to date as a 3-4 hive beekeeper.

If you like beekeeping enough to get into it more you can buy a fancier suit in the future.

Latest posts

Back