Cleaning/replacing/recycling comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi -
I'm never quite sure when old comb is re-useable, and I've also had problems taking a frame apart to put new comb in. Consequently I frequently end up throwing frames away when I could probably do something with them. I'd appreciate some views on this.

I've got two photos of frames that aren't old (I took them out of a hive that failed last autumn). I forgot about them (left them in a spare brood box) and not having treated them they've obviously suffered and you can see wax moth trails etc.

1 What would you do with these? Spray Certan on them to ensure there is no wax moth left then re-use? gouge out the trails and wax? Take out the foundation and start again? What about the other bits of mould etc?

2 If you replace the foundation, is it just because I'm really cackhanded that I find it difficult to get the pins out and do this? Are there any techniques you can advise?

The comb in picture is very new. It has had perhaps 1-2 rounds of brood.
Wax moth larvae have done tunnels.

When you put the comb against sun, and sun light does not come trought, it too old.

Look out your comb stores. Wax moth is going to conqure it!

Last edited:
Thanks Finman - yes it's only one year old so very new.

Concure = consume? I don't have much in the way of comb stores but thanks for the warning.

So what would you do with these (newish but wax comb infected) frames? Destroy them, treat them (Certan or what?) or remove the comb and replace? Then add them back to a new colony and let them finish cleaning them up?

Conqure yes

Perhaps it is easy to put comb by comb to freezer and larvae and eggs will freeze.

Then use them in hive. Bees clean them.

Some chemical treatment works too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Finman View Post
When you put the comb against sun, and sun light does not come trought, it too old.

Best stuff for bait hives tho!

I would put them in the freezer for 24 hours, that will kill any wax moth off. They will be ver fragile once they come out.

I'd scrap that one. Too much wax moth, it will weaken the frame.

Steve,

The only pins to be removed in order to renew the foundation should surely be the 3 at the top of the frame on wired foundation?. First point is not to thump them in so deep they are a sod to get out - leave heads showing and place pins on a slant so the tip doesn't protrude above. To get them out, get smallest available incers with shallow heads. No problem getting pins out at all.

A hive tool inserted between top bar and wedge does the trick for me , wedge and frame nails together in one fell swoop. Likewise with the bottom bars ,remove complete with nails . I invariabley reuse the nails no prob!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back